Looking to buy a Washingtonia Robusta

cordyman

Re: Looking to buy a Washingtonia Robusta

Post by cordyman »

MikeC wrote:
cordyman wrote:
MikeC wrote:If you can wait and want a larger one, look out for 1/2 price sales at Amulree exotics.

I bought the Robusta/Filifera hybrid for £100 in the sale.
IMG_0365.png
any recent pics of that one Mike? I remember many said it would be a gonner when you got it icon_thumleft
No pictures since the recent winter and spring cold. Last time I saw it (it is at my wifes house - I don't live there anymore) it was looking ropey but certainly not dead.

I will take some photos, possibly tomorrow. I don't expet they will be pretty mind, but I'm hoping it makes it.
thanks looking forward to it icon_thumleft
Daniel

Post by Daniel »

Nathan wrote:
RogerBacardy wrote:I know Weymouth a bit, fabulous sea front and loads of exotics dotted about. Also a great pub for the oldies called the Boot which does a fun quiz night :)

Anyway, if you're in Weymouth your climate should be quite good, winter lows probably not much below zero. I'd wager that you could leave a mature washy outside unprotected and it will survive winters and grow to become a huge palm.
Yes & no. Depends where in Weymouth really...

They did have a couple of Washingtonia planted in Greenhill Gardens on Weymouth seafront but they died after the last few cold winters, they do still have Butia's & Phoenix canariensis there though. Sandsfoot Gardens which is more sheltered near Portland Harbour has a few decent sized Washingtonia & these have survived the recent winters...
Nathan at least two of the Washingtonias on the seafront were the ones that were moved from the roundabout near B&Q just before the Winter of 2011. This was probably the main reason for their demise.

There are 4 washingtonias planted at Sandsfoot Gardens, one in particular is growing like the clappers. When I was down there a few weeks ago they all looked a little windswept, but had no frost damage at all. I will take some photos when I am next down there in the next few weeks.

However, overall I totally agree that you have to have the right micro-climate in Weymouth (or anywhere in the UK) for a Washingtonia to survive unprotected :wink:
MikeC

Post by MikeC »

Here's the Filibusta, the freezing weather has hit it hard.
IMG_0689.JPG
IMG_0688.JPG
Spear looks okay and firm so hoping it recovers.
Delboy

Post by Delboy »

No chance of digging it up and moving it with you so you can protect it?
Seems a Shame as its a big plant but I can't see it taking many winters getting that type of damage.
Mine (robusta) recovered quick from last winter and by summer it was near perfect but it's looking rough again now, not as bad as yours but mine has had a shelter.
MikeC

Post by MikeC »

Delboy wrote:No chance of digging it up and moving it with you so you can protect it?
Seems a Shame as its a big plant but I can't see it taking many winters getting that type of damage.
Mine (robusta) recovered quick from last winter and by summer it was near perfect but it's looking rough again now, not as bad as yours but mine has had a shelter.
Possibly, but not until it has had a chance to recover. It's amazing how bad they can look and then how good they can look given a good summer and autumn.
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

Mike aint looking so bad considering no protection!

You could have at least put a fleece bag over its head, poor butter LOL :lol: :lol:

Delboy wrote:No chance of digging it up and moving it with you so you can protect it?

Moving it again would really shock it though, best to leave it be now, and possibly stick a cheapo roof shelter over it.
derrick

Post by derrick »

As long as the spear dont pull should be ok. Mine looks ok for now the rain fall been crazy again