Looking to buy a Washingtonia Robusta

marmite2012

Looking to buy a Washingtonia Robusta

Post by marmite2012 »

Is there anywhere else selling these online apart from easy trpoicals. Looking to buy one or 2 that will stay in a pot to make overwintering easier. steve
Andy P

Re: Looking to buy a Washingtonia Robusta

Post by Andy P »

I bought mine from ` Big plant Nursery` online a few years ago. The Palm Centre have them also.
Addictedtopalms26

Post by Addictedtopalms26 »

Depends how eager you are, they grow relatively fast from seed if your patient. I had ones knee height (leaves) within 2 years... although I accidently left 20 out in the frost in December, lost them all :(

Otherwise your local B&Q or the palm centre will have some good bigger ones icon_thumleft
marmite2012

Post by marmite2012 »

Yeah the palm centre have them, seem slighty cheaper than easy tropicals and possible slighter bigger but who knows. I may try growing some from seed aswell but want a potted one. thanks
Delboy

Post by Delboy »

If you can wait a while Homebase should have them in and stock various sizes.
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

Vale exotics
jungle jas

Post by jungle jas »

I'll give you some germinated seed If you want to grow your own. icon_thumright
MikeC

Post by MikeC »

If you can wait and want a larger one, look out for 1/2 price sales at Amulree exotics.

I bought the Robusta/Filifera hybrid for £100 in the sale.
IMG_0365.png
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

What a plant for that price real bargain.
MikeC

Post by MikeC »

And it's being tested to the limit, planted out and with no protection this winter.

:shock:
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

The Range have some in at the moment, but they are fairly small & have a few planted to a pot...
RogerBacardy

Post by RogerBacardy »

I know Weymouth a bit, fabulous sea front and loads of exotics dotted about. Also a great pub for the oldies called the Boot which does a fun quiz night :)

Anyway, if you're in Weymouth your climate should be quite good, winter lows probably not much below zero. I'd wager that you could leave a mature washy outside unprotected and it will survive winters and grow to become a huge palm.
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

RogerBacardy wrote:I know Weymouth a bit, fabulous sea front and loads of exotics dotted about. Also a great pub for the oldies called the Boot which does a fun quiz night :)

Anyway, if you're in Weymouth your climate should be quite good, winter lows probably not much below zero. I'd wager that you could leave a mature washy outside unprotected and it will survive winters and grow to become a huge palm.
Yes & no. Depends where in Weymouth really...

They did have a couple of Washingtonia planted in Greenhill Gardens on Weymouth seafront but they died after the last few cold winters, they do still have Butia's & Phoenix canariensis there though. Sandsfoot Gardens which is more sheltered near Portland Harbour has a few decent sized Washingtonia & these have survived the recent winters...
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

MikeC wrote:If you can wait and want a larger one, look out for 1/2 price sales at Amulree exotics.

IMG_0365.png
any recent pics of that one Mike? I remember many said it would be a gonner when you got it icon_thumleft
MikeC

Post by MikeC »

cordyman wrote:
MikeC wrote:If you can wait and want a larger one, look out for 1/2 price sales at Amulree exotics.

IMG_0365.png
any recent pics of that one Mike? I remember many said it would be a gonner when you got it icon_thumleft
No pictures since the recent winter and spring cold. Last time I saw it (it is at my wifes house - I don't live there anymore) it was looking ropey but certainly not dead.

I will take some photos, possibly tomorrow. I don't expet they will be pretty mind, but I'm hoping it makes it.