Is this a weather forum?

allangreenbean

Is this a weather forum?

Post by allangreenbean »

I have noticed that a majority of the 20 most current posts are weather related.

It means that weather posts now outnumber posts about plants.

What is the weather doing to us? :shock:
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Re: Is this a weather forum?

Post by Dave Brown »

allangreenbean wrote:I have noticed that a majority of the 20 most current posts are weather related.

It means that weather posts now outnumber posts about plants.

What is the weather doing to us? :shock:
No this isn't the weather forum, the Weather and Climatology forum is HERE

If you are looking at 'View New Posts' that displays new posts from all the forums. :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright
The Codfather

Post by The Codfather »

I understand/agree where you are coming from.....there are lots on individual threads about the current weather issues....i do like a pre warning/weather update from the weather bods...but at the moment they are outnumbering plant posts IMO.
AKA - Martin

Wish list - Big Palms or Dicksonia antarctica's but open to anything really.....Cash Waiting !
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

Since our passion of being outdoors in the garden is currently on hold due to weather I guess its quite a pressing subject at he forefront of everyones minds at the moment :-)
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

I agree that gardening is pretty much on hold, and I can't take pics of emerging plants in spring, as they aren't emerging yet. For me this is just an extension of December, as not as sunny as January, February or March.

This won't just be affecting exotics as the native stuff is not moving either. There is absolutely no bud break on any native trees, so to all intents and purposes this is winter.

I was going to grow veg this year, but am starting to think it is so late now, I won't get a reasonable crop :roll:

The only things to talk about are my forcing of Alocasia and Colocasia, but they don't interest most people on here, so I don't post much about them. Whe I did post about the few seed I'd sown, there was little response, so I presume most have switched off until spring shows itself.
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by kata »

Good one Alan,

I thought that for sometime now. I lost my thread to a mrege with another members thread so now I don't waste my time going into weather threads now on principle.

I feel the forum should be renamed to 'Hardly Tropicals UK'............ :lol: :lol: :lol:
The Codfather

Post by The Codfather »

Dave,

Different veg can be done all year around......I normally do basics with my youngest girl in may...pea pods, carrots, spring onion, potatoes, radish, mixed leaf lettuce etc....all done in a home built veg box down the bottom of the garden in the play area......however, this year with having the greenhouse as a helping starter I am looking to use it to try new stuff...corn on the cob...( which once well on will be planted as I like the look of it.....plus I will try cucumber, melon etc.
AKA - Martin

Wish list - Big Palms or Dicksonia antarctica's but open to anything really.....Cash Waiting !
Delboy

Post by Delboy »

It's just because right now nothing is happening in the garden so there's nothing to talk about.
I don't (well didn't) overly read the weather forums but have done loads lately.

Once spring arrives we will all be much happier, I actually spent a afternoon in the garden yesterday pottering around.
My Daffs are out, acers and hunnysuckle in bud and hosta, brunnera and rudbeckia are starting to show icon_cheers
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

Dave Brown wrote:I was going to grow veg this year, but am starting to think it is so late now, I won't get a reasonable crop
Worth considering buying plants from Garden Centre at the appropriate time,. That will gain you 4 - 6 weeks over a sow-your-own.

I don't need to tell you this, but they do sell some junk of course! Greenhouse F1 female-flower-only Cucumber plants in my garden centre are cheaper than I can buy seed, and Cucumbers are very fickle to raise ... but I have seen individual carrots in modules for sale - they hate being transplanted, and the price would be nuts for individual Carrots!!

Church Fete etc. often another good source of veg plants,a s well as car boot / markets.

Personally I never buy Brassica plants from unknown sources, due to risk of clubroot, but anything else where I am late, or have had germination-failure, I buy in plants to "catch up"
otorongo

Post by otorongo »

Kristen wrote:but I have seen individual carrots in modules for sale - they hate being transplanted, and the price would be nuts for individual Carrots!!
Yeah, considering you can get ready-to-eat carrots for £1 a kilo... But people will buy all kinds of stuff.
medjool

Post by medjool »

Its a fact that when you have 5ft snowdrifts outside your house the weather comes first before the gardening! Im afraid i cant see my plants but i can tell you what the weather looks like!
cartel

Post by cartel »

allangreenbean wrote:It means that weather posts now outnumber posts about plants.
This thread clocks up one more! :wink:

The problem I find is that I'm constantly checking weather related sites for any glimmer of hope to an end to this miserable winter as it seems very hard to get enthusiastic about what I could do in the garden when the temps here have barely risen above 4C for weeks. To add to this gloom, I was watching the 1 o'clock news and the weather bod from the Met Office said this will be with us most of April also. :ahhh!:

It's costing me a small fortune keeping the greenhouse stuff alive, this time last year I had them all outside already.
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

Since everything is on hold due to this weather there isn't much else to talk about really. Afterall this is a record breaking cold spell for March.
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Tom2006 wrote:Since everything is on hold due to this weather there isn't much else to talk about really. Afterall this is a record breaking cold spell for March.
The sun poked it head out for it's once weekly appearance today. The last time the sun was visible first thing it was behind the Washingtonia, but today was above it :) As it was hazy sun at lunchtime I ventured out into the garden for the first time in a week, and I was amazed to find the Berberis darwinii in bud, so not really behind like everything else.
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

my colocasia at my uncles is growing like a hoolie. its in a quality street tub of water on a window sill above a radiator. just dont look out of the window,all you can see is hundreds of yachts in freezing cold water.
mars ROVER broken down. headgasket faillure