Eriobotrya japonica Loquat pruning? *results*

cordyman

Re: How should I prune this Loquat?

Post by cordyman »

After not much activity since I did the super-prune back in April, I thought I may have killed the Loquat when it started regrowing from the base! and no activity up top. So I kept pruning the tiny shoot back to the ground.

Suddenly in the last week and a half new buds have now appeared all over.

So looks like pollarding back to preferred height every few years is a definite goer icon_cheers

Even shooting from the base of the "crown" for even foliage cover all round

Buds ahoy! icon_cheers

cordyman

Re: How should I prune this Loquat?

Post by cordyman »

Final results of the prune, and for reference for anyone considering this, i'll be doing this every two years I think, to control the height and the fresh growth is lovely. What do you think, the final shape doesnt look as bad as I thought?

Delboy

Re: Eriobotrya japonica Loquat pruning? *results*

Post by Delboy »

Looks much better IMO, a lot nicer shape than you had.
Steph

Post by Steph »

That's a seedling, a baby - all the ones I see fill the front gardens and are up to the bedroom windows.
Its a nicer shape though, looks better in the garden and no one will have to climb it to get to the fruit!
allangreenbean

Post by allangreenbean »

Worked a treat, will bear that in mind when my seedlings ever get to that height and the if the greenfly don't suck the life out of them before that.

Looks really good.
leunerj

Post by leunerj »

Has anyone tried pinching out the growing tip on a young plant to create a bushy Eriobotrya? Might be a nice large shrub as opposed to a tree but I wonder how feasible this is?
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

now i know how you did it cordy.my loquat is running scared.shouldnt have got so scruffy is my thought so the chop is inevitable soon icon_thumleft
mars ROVER broken down. headgasket faillure
Chad

Post by Chad »

redsquirrel wrote: the chop is inevitable soon icon_thumleft
I wouldn't do it now myself. If it responded with fresh growth that would then be too soft to get through the winter.

Personally I'd do it when dormant. Anytime through the winter in theory. I'm a coward though and would do it in late winter ready for it to branch out with new growth in the spring.

Chad.
derrick

Post by derrick »

How is the Loquat tree Cordy ? This is one of the Loquat trees in Southampton .
Attachments
DSCF3913.JPG
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

derrick wrote:How is the Loquat tree Cordy ? This is one of the Loquat trees in Southampton .

Nice pic derrick! Is it purely a bush, or is that head sitting atop a skinny trunk?

Mine is doing well not stopped growing at all this winter, very vigorous grower :shock:
derrick

Post by derrick »

This one is a tree . The height of a house and very wide too . Mine needs cutting and my fatsia .