Begonia Tuberhybrida for 2013

Dave Brown
Site Admin

Begonia Tuberhybrida for 2013

Post by Dave Brown »

Not exotic in the normal sense we use on here, but an invaluable plant for bringing colour to baskets, pouches and cascading over a wall icon_thumright

I had Begonia tuberhybrida in my wall pouches last year and my wife liked them so much she asked if I was going to do them again. Here they were in August last year.
2012-08-09-14-43-52Begonia pouches.jpg
Basically they are trailing tuberous Begonia which are perennials, so I allowed them to dry off after getting frosted in mid December (-3.6C) and left them dry in the pouches over winter. Some of them didn't make it but I have ended up with 32 tubers which have sprouted. I knew they would be too big for a second year in the pouches so ordered some more for late April delivery. This gives a month to grow on before going out on the wall.

There was a problem.... they arrived, a month early, on 30th March in the middle of the freeze. Temps had fallen to -2.8C on the morning they arrived, and that following night temps fell to a whopping -4.8C. The plants were cold and wet, and I fully expected to be on the phone to T & M asking for replacements for when I requested them.
2013-03-30-12-02-48 Begonia tuberhybrida arrived.jpg
They were unpacked and given TLC for 24 hours and didn't seem to be too phased by their icy journey. so I planted them up in the pouches. They have to be left laid down for a week to allow the roots to go into the centre of the pouch. Here they are sunning themselves under the growlight :wink:
2013-04-01-19-28-54 Begonia pouches.jpg
I have constructed a a rail to hang them on using a section of baton, as they were earlier than I expected and will have to stay in the conservatory, rather than going straight out into the Lunar Module. Here 10 days after planting up.
2013-04-10-13-54-32 Begonia tuberhybrida.jpg
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Re: Begonia Tuberhybrida for 2013

Post by Half Hardy »

Are these the same thing dave? I bought them as Begonia pendula.They were sold as bare corms in a choice of colours,red,yellow,pink,white and orange.I think they were only £1 each.I left some in pots over winter in the polytunnel they are just starting to regrow.Image

Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Half Hardy wrote:Are these the same thing dave? I bought them as Begonia pendula.They were sold as bare corms in a choice of colours,red,yellow,pink,white and orange.I think they were only £1 each.I left some in pots over winter in the polytunnel they are just starting to regrow.
Yes they do look the same. There are quite a few colour variations. Mine are seed grown to fit in the pouches. The second year ones are larger plants already.

My fireworks non pendulous has a tuber about 8" across now. Will be the size of a football next year :lol:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Tom2006 »

These are exactly what I'm after. Where can i order some please?
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

I got mine from here Tom
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Half Hardy »

I would highly recommed a begonia variety called Begonia Switzerland,I had some last year,but i didn't take any photos.They are similar to Daves, a bit more upright,with double red flowers and dark brown(almost black)leaves.Well worth a google image search.
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

Dave Brown wrote:I got mine from here Tom
thanks icon_thumleft
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

They have not done as well this year as I've had to keep bringing them back in due to cold weather. I'm going to hang them up tonight as the best place for them. I have a feeling they don't like the compost as much in the cold conditions.

However, boy are they tough once they get going. One I left planted out last year and assumed wouldn't make it, is back and in the wind blasted front garden as well :ahhh!:
Attachments
2013-06-05-12-50-28 Begonia Tuberhybrida.jpg
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by kata »

I hope all goes ok with the plants Dave,

icon_cheers
stephenprudence

Post by stephenprudence »

Difference between tuberosa and tuberhybrida? Is one trailing and the other upright? I have B. tuberosa. Given Begonia evansiana are considered exotic, I guess Begonia tuber types in general should be considered exotic (by us) icon_thumleft
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

Dave Brown wrote:They have not done as well this year as I've had to keep bringing them back in due to cold weather. I'm going to hang them up tonight as the best place for them. I have a feeling they don't like the compost as much in the cold conditions.

However, boy are they tough once they get going. One I left planted out last year and assumed wouldn't make it, is back and in the wind blasted front garden as well :ahhh!:
something strange is going on in that location that is providing plants that shouldn't be coming through a way to do so.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Mr List wrote:
something strange is going on in that location that is providing plants that shouldn't be coming through a way to do so.
I think it is the proximity to the property wall, but not 100% sure.

The old tubers that were potted up are now in flower
Attachments
2013-06-26 16-59-04 Regonia Tuberhybrida.jpg
2013-06-26 17-01-08 Begonia Tuberhybrida.jpg
2013-06-26 17-01-34 Begonia Tuberhybrida.jpg
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by kata »

That baton idea is just great Dave,

Is there a difference between pendulum and trailing? My red ones were singles, the yellow doubles.

Fancy sending the plants in the winter we had.. :(

The Images are lovely. The growlight was also handy.

icon_sunny

Now we need to protect them for next year. I want more of the same next year.