Eucomis bicolor sprouting

Barry

Re: Eucomis bicolor sprouting

Post by Barry »

Dave Brown wrote:
Barry wrote:
Dave Brown wrote: I took the flower stem off my Sparkling Burgundy last year and stored it in the conservatory, but it doesn't seem to have produced seed.
Same here,nothing at all.
Maybe Sparkling Burgundy is sterile :roll:
Rhs seem to think not;

http://apps.rhs.org.uk/plantselector/plant?plantid=4826
JoelR

Post by JoelR »

I've germinated E. bicolor seedlings too but I mixed bought seed with collected seed so can't say which have germinated. Sparkling Burgundy is a form of E. comosa so resulting seed might revert to green but could still produce some interesting forms. I've never dared to leave mine out but over a few years it has produced offsets.
simon

Post by simon »

E. bicolor has self seeded for me but Sparkling Burgundy, Zeal Bronze and Pole Evansii never have. I collected the seedlings from around the base of the plant and potted them up until they were bigger, then planted them back out.
Dave Brown wrote:I've had a couple of 'Sparkling Burgundy' outside, one for 5 years, the other in a pot under a Dicksonia antarctica over last winter, and it's just starting to show, but they don't seem to multiply by bulbs, where as bicolor does.
They do but I think thay are slower. My sparkling burgundy bulb has multiplied into 3 heads from the original 1. I think it was after about 4 to 5 years from planting out.
chrismc

Post by chrismc »

Mine arnt showing any movement i'm getting impatient as well. BTW i do have a load of seed from last year so if anyone wants any drop me a line
chrismc

Post by chrismc »

Mine arnt showing any movement i'm getting impatient as well. BTW i do have a load of seed from last year so if anyone wants any drop me a line
Lys

Post by Lys »

Mine are just poking new shoots through the soil outside at the moment. They seem to thrive here with little attention, in well drained soil next to a rampantly spreading Euphorbia. When they form a large clump I split them and replant shallowly. Have also bought as bulbs when the garden centres have sold them off cheaply at the end of the planting season.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

simon wrote:E. bicolor has self seeded for me but Sparkling Burgundy, Zeal Bronze and Pole Evansii never have. I collected the seedlings from around the base of the plant and potted them up until they were bigger, then planted them back out.
Dave Brown wrote:I've had a couple of 'Sparkling Burgundy' outside, one for 5 years, the other in a pot under a Dicksonia antarctica over last winter, and it's just starting to show, but they don't seem to multiply by bulbs, where as bicolor does.
They do but I think thay are slower. My sparkling burgundy bulb has multiplied into 3 heads from the original 1. I think it was after about 4 to 5 years from planting out.
I wonder if the named varieties are later to flower, therefore need a longer season to set seed. Sparkling Burgundy was August to October flower last year
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright