Looks like my Trachycarpus is going to flower for the first time!

Stevo

Looks like my Trachycarpus is going to flower for the first time!

Post by Stevo »

It's quite sad how excited I am about that?! icon_geek
Springy

Re: Looks like my Trachycarpus is going to flower for the fi

Post by Springy »

I would be too if any of my palms decided to flower!!! drunken_smilie1
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

I think i'll have several beers next to one of my palms when they get the first flower. I've got left over flower stalks on some palms which i've now cut off, but in my possession none have yet flowered.
RogerBacardy

Post by RogerBacardy »

Mine's doing the same, has 5 flower spathes at the moment. :)
multim

Post by multim »

I can't remember at what height my Trachycarpus has its first flowering moment? Five - six feet tall? Something like that. Strange that most Chamearops flower much lower and sooner that Trachycarpus's do. Age wise, not season wise. Incidentally, I returned from Cornwall yesterday, and after seeing many gardens, Trebah e.t.c., non of the Trachycarpus's were in flower when usually they are at this time of the year. The Acacia's were though, great scent and 'in your face' shades of yellow.
My Trachycarpus's will be opening their flowers next week, as will the Chamearops H. Cerifera's.........or so they tell me!
Adam D

Post by Adam D »

Will they be boy or girl flowers?

That's the big question :?:
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

Noob question here . To get Trachycarpus seed do you need a male female in close proximity both flowering, and can other palm family eg chammy male and Trachycarpus female coss pollinate, or does it have to be strictly Trachycarpus f and Trachycarpus f?
kite567

Post by kite567 »

To get A female Trachycarpus to set seed you need a male one for its pollen.

Trachies and chamaerops do not hybridise.
multim

Post by multim »

Hold the front page.......................I have just noticed a flower bud on my 3 foot trunk Trachycarpus. True, it's a chunky one and has been planted for 3 years. About 2 feet of trunk when planted, it has increased in girth as well as height. I wonder if it is a female? I'll know if the flowers are pink!!! Just kidding :lol:
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

the thing to do now tim is look out for someone with a male tree and blag a flower later on,shake it over your flowers and let the dust fly around.fingers crossed yours is female and you get lots of seeds icon_thumleft icon_thumleft
mars ROVER broken down. headgasket faillure
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

redsquirrel wrote:the thing to do now tim is look out for someone with a male tree and blag a flower later on,shake it over your flowers and let the dust fly around.fingers crossed yours is female and you get lots of seeds icon_thumleft icon_thumleft

great tip :)

Will be needing that when one of my palms finally flowers (years off yet I expect!)