Raised planter, what a monster

allangreenbean

Raised planter, what a monster

Post by allangreenbean »

Have been working on my raised planters.

Did a small test strawberry tower in the hope of getting earlier and higher yields of strawberries plus avoid the slug plague.

This little tower has a built in worm composter.

I got a little more ambitious and built a way too big raised wicking bed.

Will be plastic lined and contain a sand filled reservoir.

This is far too big as in too tall and requires a lot more compost than I envisaged. Next time it will be 60cm tall as that's all is needed.

I'm going to be growing veggies although I may well use it to plant larger plants and build a smaller one for the veggies.

Still interesting project.
Attachments
strawberry-tower.jpg
raised-planter.jpg
miketropic

Re: Raised planter, what a monster

Post by miketropic »

generally if I have somthing like a pot that is to big for what I want I will fill the bottom with old water bottles/ milk jugs or somthing like that to take up space yet they won't break down. then fill with compost and plant. I tend to do the same thing having a prject in mind then when it comes out it wasnt on the scale it was in my head, usually far to large :lol:
allangreenbean

Post by allangreenbean »

Funny you should say that as I have been saving up plastic milk cartons for that reason.

You know what they say about great minds :wink:
pdid

Post by pdid »

allangreenbean wrote:Funny you should say that as I have been saving up plastic milk cartons for that reason.

Great minds wouldn't have made the planter too big icon_thumright :lol:
Blairs

Post by Blairs »

allangreenbean wrote:Funny you should say that as I have been saving up plastic milk cartons for that reason.

If you use large enough containers, almost fill to the top with water and paint black, surround with pebbles, they should act as a type of heat sink, releasing the solar heated water upwards to the plants above. Given that we had no days in the last year that did not stay below 0C it might give a frost free bed.
derrick

Post by derrick »

Thats a cheap coffin who going in it
JBALLY

Post by JBALLY »

Put a roof on it and add a door and you have got yourself a shed lol.
flounder

Post by flounder »

JBALLY wrote:Put a roof on it and add a door and you have got yourself a shed lol.
:lol:
derrick wrote:Thats a cheap coffin who going in it
:lol: :lol:
pdid wrote:Great minds wouldn't have made the planter too big
:lol: :lol: :lol: