how often do you water potted palms

kevineden

how often do you water potted palms

Post by kevineden »

how often do you water your palms the are in pots we all know that we get wet and dry spells but on average how many times a week?
Addictedtopalms26

Re: how often do you water potted palms

Post by Addictedtopalms26 »

If they're small enough to lift, you can tell by weight. Or I just feel the soil. I'm careful through winter and spring, but from now on I tend to water mine through thoroughly. Maybe 3 times a week if sunny :)
kata

Post by kata »

mornings daily in summer,

icon_cheers
jungle jas

Post by jungle jas »

Depends on the palm, depends on the pot! Some every day some twice a week some once a week. Stick your finger on the soil see if its wet or dry, icon_thumright
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

Indoor (windowsill sized pots) every couple of days with about an eggcup full from the base.

Outdoor (larger than about 2L) I let the rain water them and, when it hasn't rained for a couple of days or if it has been hot, I water with the hose.

I never raise outdoor pots or use saucers so they can get watered from top and bottom by rain or hose.

I think many people believe Palms don'y need as much water as common British plants but potted ones need a lot more. I find Brahea and Jubaea to be very thirsty palms, Butia not far behind and Chamaerops the most drought tolerant. Indoors Phoenix Poebelleni need to be constantly stood in a saucer of water and it doesn't hurt to do the same outdoors too.

A good general rule is: If you lightly touch the soil and your finger comes away without trace of compost then they are too dry.