is this a yam? if so, what now?!!

Birmingham Chris

is this a yam? if so, what now?!!

Post by Birmingham Chris » Wed May 08, 2013 8:05 pm

So, the first picture is of (I think) a yam - is this right?!! It was given to me, and has been left rolling around in the car for ages before I found it tonight(!). It is the length - almost exactly - of a wine bottle. What should I do now?!

The second picture is (possibly) another yam, also a freebie from my local Indian shop where Caribbean's who buy them don't want the shooting ends, so the guy chops them off and throws them away. it is about 7 inches long. any plans...?!
Attachments
yam2.jpg
yam2.jpg (158.65 KiB) Viewed 510 times
yam3.jpg
yam3.jpg (159.52 KiB) Viewed 510 times
Coming to you from sunny North Birmingham. Where the sun always shines.....somewhere else!

derrick

Re: is this a yam? if so, what now?!!

Post by derrick » Wed May 08, 2013 8:14 pm

Yes its a Yam not Cocoyam or Eddoe this is more of a vine .The top can root if you cut it off but you need very hot temperature to grow

Birmingham Chris

Post by Birmingham Chris » Wed May 08, 2013 8:19 pm

Cheers Derreck. like that's gonna happen in the Midlands! I may just eat it, then!
Coming to you from sunny North Birmingham. Where the sun always shines.....somewhere else!

derrick

Post by derrick » Wed May 08, 2013 8:29 pm

I had one root in the summer then i stuck fork in it .I will try again more heat than i can give .They do taste good but not all taste the same some very dry others like chestnut or potatoes

Birmingham Chris

Post by Birmingham Chris » Wed May 08, 2013 8:32 pm

this has, literally, done this itself by being left in the car - certainly had no TLC and was just a (I now know) yam when I was given it.

There's nothing to this tropical gardening malake, not sure what you're all making such a fuss about!!! :D

Sal73

Post by Sal73 » Wed May 08, 2013 8:39 pm

that`s a edible dioscorea bulbifera , maybe from Ghana , if hot enough will produce air potatoes and flower as well ,
hard to root , but when will start hard to stop .....overall there is a variety called discorea batatas , that can actually survive in UK .....

derrick

Post by derrick » Wed May 08, 2013 8:39 pm

My wife gets them all the time some have roots some dont .The one i stuck in the garden rooted into ground very firm .The heat in your car set it off maybe i will fill my van with tropical plants for the look

Birmingham Chris

Post by Birmingham Chris » Wed May 08, 2013 8:44 pm

Sal73 wrote:that`s a edible dioscorea bulbifera , maybe from Ghana , if hot enough will produce air potatoes and flower as well ,
hard to root , but when will start hard to stop .....overall there is a variety called discorea batatas , that can actually survive in UK .....

air potatoes?

also, all the edoes there are being thrown away as they have loads of shoots / roots / leaves on.

seriously - should I bother asking for a few or is the fun in the getting them to grow?

what are their realistic chances of being worth the bother? I only ask as there are whole threads on here about getting them to shoot, but I wouldn't need to bother with that.

derrick

Post by derrick » Wed May 08, 2013 8:51 pm

If they got roots shoots should be easy to start in a south facing window but with the weather we have dont no when to put them outside this year