Sorbus sorbifolia sem

Jo A P

Sorbus sorbifolia sem

Post by Jo A P »

I've noticed people talking about Sorbus sorbifolia sem in here, but google pics don't do it a lot of justice. Is it a good plant to have? Sort of fine leaves to put with something big- leaved? What sort of conditions does it need?
Thanks for any help.
rufc15lizzie

Re: Sorbus sorbifolia sem

Post by rufc15lizzie »

I can give you my experience.
They are tough as old boots and survive whatever i do to them.
They are lovely, and its the first thing to start showing life and leaf up in the garden in the spring.
Try to keep it well pruned and as it gets older hack it back say after the first couple of summers or it starts to look leggy and past its best.
Some summers ive found them to look a little rough by august, the hard pruning each year helps this.
They sucker all over the place, snap one off stick it some compost and it grows, sometimes i do this and as the main plant gets older dig it up and swap for the cutting.
One of my favourite plants in the garden, the leaves are lovely.
Last edited by rufc15lizzie on Sat May 11, 2013 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post by Sal73 »

I agree , last year I`ve collected few seedling outside my work , just to practice myself in create semi bonsai ,
completely neglet all winter , left them outside with no water , under frost and they even fell off ......
they are completely fine and just about to sproud .....
I agree that is a an underestimate plant .
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

Great early interest and hardy as a stone

Conifers

Post by Conifers »

Jo A P wrote: Sorbus sorbifolia sem
Sorbaria sorbifolia 'Sem' icon_thumright
Jo A P

Post by Jo A P »

SOLD to me. Thanks for the help and the correction :D I'll never get used to plant names :oops: