Cerifera planted out, the blue colouration is outstanding

cordyman

Cerifera planted out, the blue colouration is outstanding

Post by cordyman »

Heres how its looking after 38.5mm of rain in a week, I worried it would wash all the blue off, as its just a coating right?

but its looking bluer than ever, such a stark contrast against the grass and surrounding trachys, bamboo. Its going to look even better once fresh spears start emerging, as some of the lower leaves look a bit bedraggled

Springy

Re: Cerifera planted out, the blue colouration is outstandin

Post by Springy »

That's a real beauty! I wish I had got one when I spotted them. They were in my "watching" section of eBay but I was hoping to get a nice one from Nigel. As it was Nigel didn't have any when I visited and by then the palm centre ones had all sold out! :cry:

Look after it! :cry:
cheshirepalms
Location: Ellesmere Port, Mersey estuary, Cheshire 53.2N 2.8W

Post by cheshirepalms »

Agreed beautiful palm, never seen these for sale anywhere yet.
greendragon

Post by greendragon »

Cheshire you didn't look far, Palm Centre and Mulu sell them.
Springy

Post by Springy »

greendragon wrote:Cheshire you didn't look far, Palm Centre and Mulu sell them.
Yes that's right but they don't look as good as the one Cordy bought or the ones listed at the time.
karl66

Post by karl66 »

Cordy, the bad boy I bought from palmcentre also looks stunningly blue after all the rain!!, I think cerifera differ so much in quality, i'm so impressed i'm looking at ringing them to see if they can do me another deal on a large one, the tight compact ones with fat trunks look best. karl,
Wilza

Post by Wilza »

I want one! or two! would look nice in a oak half barrel on my patio icon_thumright
Andy P

Post by Andy P »

I bought a decent sized Cerifera from the palm centre bout 18 Months ago. It went down hill a bit after i planted it. All the ends of the leaves started turning brown,it started to look very washed out and i started to get a bit worried about it, but it`s sailed through this eternal Winter and i was looking at it tonight. It`s actually growing faster than any other Palm in the garden, pushing new leaves out and it has 3 really healthy spears.
That ones a beauty Cordy.
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

My 2 PalmCentre ones were planted out last year but they had most of the blue washed off them when they arrived.

They are growing though, and no leaf tip burn, and the new fronds that are emerging look tightly packed and very blue indeed.

I am hoping that planting them beneath the cover of larger Trachys helps them retain the colour. These and Brahea Armata make a stunning contrast to the usual green fronds of Trachycarpus and Butia.
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

Gorgeous palm!! Not understanding the washing the colour off bit?..how does that work?
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

Tom, the blue colour is a powdery coating to the leaves which are green beneath like ordinary Chammies. The older the leaves get, and therefore the more often they are rained on, the less colour they retain. The newest spears and fronds are always the most vibrant.
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

GoggleboxUK wrote:Tom, the blue colour is a powdery coating to the leaves which are green beneath like ordinary Chammies. The older the leaves get, and therefore the more often they are rained on, the less colour they retain. The newest spears and fronds are always the most vibrant.
Forgive me being naive to this, but is the blue colour artificial then?
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

That depends on how you define artificial I suppose.

Yes because the plant underneath is green

No because it grows naturally like that.

Brahea Armata is similarly powder coated as are the undersides of a few varieties of Trachycarpus fronds.
paulrm71

Post by paulrm71 »

Visited the palm centre yesterday and they have a new stock of them now. Also a number of trithrinax campestris at £40 each (small multiple heads).
Springy

Post by Springy »

paulrm71 wrote:Visited the palm centre yesterday and they have a new stock of them now. Also a number of trithrinax campestris at £40 each (small multiple heads).
My Mum went to the palm centre recently and treated me to this little beauty! I planted it at the weekend. Thanks Mumsy!!!! icon_cheers
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg