Cerifera planted out, the blue colouration is outstanding

Dave Brown
Site Admin

Re: Cerifera planted out, the blue colouration is outstandin

Post by Dave Brown »

That's a beaut, Springly Shine a daylight or blue light on it at night and it will glow :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Clive60 »

The two (smallish) ones I bought from the Palm Centre last Sept have nothing like the blue colouration yours have, it's as blue as my Brahea.
Springy

Post by Springy »

Dave Brown wrote:That's a beaut, Springly Shine a daylight or blue light on it at night and it will glow :wink:
That's a project for the distant future! icon_thumright
karl66

Post by karl66 »

Springy that's a great colouration, the large one I had a few months back is the same stunning shade!, palmcentre may not be the cheapest on a lot of items but I don't think you can knock there quality, & i'd say they have the best stock of cerifera in the uk. karl.
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

Springy wrote:
paulrm71 wrote:Visited the palm centre yesterday and they have a new stock of them now. Also a number of trithrinax campestris at £40 each (small multiple heads).
My Mum went to the palm centre recently and treated me to this little beauty! I planted it at the weekend. Thanks Mumsy!!!! icon_cheers

Springy are you time travelling back a month? your garden is filled out already! how is the trex so far ahead ?? :shock:

great cerifera too!
Half Hardy

Post by Half Hardy »

If the blue coloration,is a defence against severe sunlight,it could mean the palms with the strongest shade of blue have been mostly ,grown outside somewhere sunny(spain,Italy?).I would expect they would gradually lose some of their colour in the uk.
Has anyone grown one outside long enough to find out if they can keep their colour here?
My B.armata, planted out,has lost a lot of it's colour,my other one(bought on ebay from spain) overwintered in the greenhouse has kept it.
Springy

Post by Springy »

No Cordy, no time travelling, just a dose of fertiliser, rain and a day or two of sunshine!

I must admit that it's the best that the garden has looked for this time of year! Nigel's palms and fertiliser has worked wonders.
The cerifera is a real show stopper and will be a real talking point.
Attachments
Pic taken today!
Pic taken today!
cheshirepalms
Location: Ellesmere Port, Mersey estuary, Cheshire 53.2N 2.8W

Post by cheshirepalms »

Springy wrote:No Cordy, no time travelling, just a dose of fertiliser, rain and a day or two of sunshine!

I must admit that it's the best that the garden has looked for this time of year! Nigel's palms and fertiliser has worked wonders.
Looking great! icon_thumleft Any chance of seeing some photos of your Phoenix canariensis_CIDP? Was it protected overwinter?
Springy

Post by Springy »

cheshirepalms wrote:
Springy wrote:No Cordy, no time travelling, just a dose of fertiliser, rain and a day or two of sunshine!

Looking great! icon_thumleft Any chance of seeing some photos of your Phoenix canariensis_Phoenix canariensis_CIDP? Was it protected overwinter?
Phoenix canariensis_CIDP was only protected on about 2 or 3 nights this winter when forecast down to -7 The damage on it is from the previous winter not from the winter just gone.

I'm hoping that I can keep this cerifera through the forthcoming winter as my other one took a serious hit in the winter of 2011.
Attachments
image.jpg
Deedee

Post by Deedee »

Wow Cordy thats a gorgeous plam, A proper showstopper icon_thumright
Deedee

Post by Deedee »

Stunning garden Springy, whats it gonna be like in a few weeks, wow..
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

what are the pink/purple flowers on tall green stems? really add some nice colour early season?

The trachys really finish the garden off a treat.

also trunk on that trex near the Phoenix canariensis_CIDP is insane, how old?
Deedee

Post by Deedee »

cordyman wrote:

what are the pink/purple flowers on tall green stems? really add some nice colour early season?

The trachys really finish the garden off a treat.

also trunk on that trex near the Phoenix canariensis_Phoenix canariensis_CIDP is insane, how old?
Thats a Trex :shock: I was gonna ask but didn't want to look Thick :) Its Amazing Springy..
GREVILLE

Post by GREVILLE »

Safe to say, Springy, that's an outstanding plant that's standing out icon_thumleft
cheshirepalms
Location: Ellesmere Port, Mersey estuary, Cheshire 53.2N 2.8W

Post by cheshirepalms »

Springy wrote:
cheshirepalms wrote:

Looking great! icon_thumleft Any chance of seeing some photos of your Phoenix canariensis_Phoenix canariensis_CIDP? Was it protected overwinter?
Phoenix canariensis_Phoenix canariensis_CIDP was only protected on about 2 or 3 nights this winter when forecast down to -7 The damage on it is from the previous winter not from the winter just gone.

I'm hoping that I can keep this cerifera through the forthcoming winter as my other one took a serious hit in the winter of 2011.
Its looking good too, as long as the middle is lush then it will be ok.