Cannas - lift and stick on heat or leave?

paulrm71

Cannas - lift and stick on heat or leave?

Post by paulrm71 »

Hi, I have several varieties of cannas (indica purpurea, warczseki..., Tuerk etc) that have been left in the ground over winter with 6 inches or mulching. None are showing any growth but the rhizomes appear solid. Should I lift, pot and heat from bottom to start growth, or just leave them.? Thanks, paul
otorongo

Re: Cannas - lift and stick on heat or leave?

Post by otorongo »

My Wyoming is growing away.
Blairs

Post by Blairs »

Can you put a coldframe/plastic sheeting over them to make it hot and humid? They should respond to that.

I always lift Canna and start in March. Some of mine are almost 2 metres tall...so I better see some flowers this year!
rajah99

Post by rajah99 »

Blairs wrote:Some of mine are almost 2 metres tall...so I better see some flowers this year!
They are two metres tall already :shock: , or will be eventually?

What do you feed them? I got some starting from seed, a few that i potted up eventually started to move slowly. best growth is in ones i left in propagator, now about 20cm. but its all very slow.....
CW01

Post by CW01 »

As has been said cover with clear plastic or fleece icon_thumleft
Blairs

Post by Blairs »

rajah99 wrote:
Blairs wrote:Some of mine are almost 2 metres tall...so I better see some flowers this year!
They are two metres tall already :shock: , or will be eventually?

What do you feed them? I got some starting from seed, a few that i potted up eventually started to move slowly. best growth is in ones i left in propagator, now about 20cm. but its all very slow.....
Cann musifolia and Canna edulis from rhizome. I started (they actually started themselves) in early March. Been up in my bay window since, apart from one that knocked itself down
Attachments
IMAG0737.jpg
CW01

Post by CW01 »

You must of had lots of sunshine to get them that big this early if only started in March did you start on heat mats?
Blairs

Post by Blairs »

CW01 wrote:You must of had lots of sunshine to get them that big this early if only started in March did you start on heat mats?
Just up at the window the whole time (some leaf damage from touching the window when it was freezing in March). It is south facing bay, so gets the sun when it is out. 8)
CW01

Post by CW01 »

They are lovely plants the Musifolia and Edulis will be giants come August two of my favourites icon_thumleft which variety of Musifolia are you growing.i have Grande and a variety that Liz and Simon(Urban and Amulree) sell,sold as Musifolia :)
Blairs

Post by Blairs »

CW01 wrote:They are lovely plants the Musifolia and Edulis will be giants come August two of my favourites icon_thumleft which variety of Musifolia are you growing.i have Grande and a variety that Liz and Simon(Urban and Amulree) sell,sold as Musifolia :)
Grande - bought them from Harts Canna. Do you have any pics of them in August? My worry is they will be shredded.
paulrm71

Post by paulrm71 »

Right, cloches on two lots of them now and they're steaming up nicely......hopefully will kickstart some growth. Thanks for the advice all.
CW01

Post by CW01 »

Grande - bought them from Harts Canna. Do you have any pics of them in August? My worry is they will be shredded.[/quote]
Haven't any pics mate but they are very robust if your worried about shreading then try and grow them in sheltered spot if poss last year mine took a battering but it was a very windy year in this neck of the woods they still looked good in August though reaching 9+ feet icon_thumleft
Barry

Post by Barry »

Think Warscewiczii is a bit tricky to overwinter,probably easier just to buy seed each year.
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

Barry wrote:Think Warscewiczii is a bit tricky to overwinter,probably easier just to buy seed each year.
I've read that, but I haven't had a problem overwintering (lifting and storing until Feb/Mar then start off in greenhouse). The roots definitely have less "substance" to them than my larger Cannas, so maybe that is a potential issue?

I find that they set seed very readily (and start setting seed relatively early compared to other varieties) ... so should be easy to keep your own seed of C. Warscewiczii
Barry

Post by Barry »

Kristen wrote:
Barry wrote:Think Warscewiczii is a bit tricky to overwinter,probably easier just to buy seed each year.
I've read that, but I haven't had a problem overwintering (lifting and storing until Feb/Mar then start off in greenhouse). The roots definitely have less "substance" to them than my larger Cannas, so maybe that is a potential issue?

I find that they set seed very readily (and start setting seed relatively early compared to other varieties) ... so should be easy to keep your own seed of C. Warscewiczii

Well I've never managed to keep any going,maybe gave up on them too early icon_scratch .Have saved seed before but didn't get any ripen properly last year.

Looks like the Musifolias are at last stirring but they are way behind all the other Cannas,and no signs of virus yet either icon_thumleft (He says crossing fingers etc).