Strong climber/vine to secure a fence?

cordyman

Strong climber/vine to secure a fence?

Post by cordyman »

I've covered this rickety old fence with some reed screening, which is stapled in,

I'd like to plant a climber or vine in front of it with vigerous tendrils which will entwine through the reed, grow through it and the fence and secure the whole thing into place along with eventually giving a green wall.

Now I know Ivy would do it in a heartbeat and wedge it solid in years to come, but i've got enough of that in the garden :lol:

Any suggestions, its partly shaded by the canopy above and i'd like something which is evergreen and possibly flower too, the main criteria has to be an ivy like grip though.

icon_scratch
Delboy

Re: Strong climber/vine to secure a fence?

Post by Delboy »

Ah now i see why you asked about my climber.

Clematis Armandii, stunning leaves, white flowers, rampant and will cling to everything. Mine is in heavy shade and loving it. They have some in my local homebase for £15 :wink:
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

Yep, what Del said.

I put 2 in the ground last year and they did nothing but they are making up for it this year and have come out of the blocks with rockets strapped to their backs.

I've got them where the 3 new Buddha plaques are on the bamboo screened fence, and the way they are going I won't be able to see the fence by autumn.
Delboy

Post by Delboy »

Mine was the same, i bought it at around 3' high and left it up against the shed in its pot. It rocketed to about 7' in about a month lol. Planted it in the ground last year andit seemed to slow right down. This past week its thrown out loads of new growth and i reckon it will of completely cover most of the trellis by this time next year.
flounder

Post by flounder »

Most 'vigorous' climbers would probably have that fence down rather than help secure it. if you must proceed with this, the tendrils of a virginia creeper will grab on pretty quick but being deciduous I'd plant an evergreen with it such as the mentioned c. armandii or a trachelospermum
cheshirepalms
Location: Ellesmere Port, Mersey estuary, Cheshire 53.2N 2.8W

Post by cheshirepalms »

Most grape vines will put on 5 feet in a good year.
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

Golden hop.
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

Might have paid over the odds, but couldnt wait wouldnt wait, I couldnt afford not to have it :lol: icon_cheers

Thanks for suggestion guys

Delboy

Post by Delboy »

Nice one cordy, looks a nice plant that, much bushier than what I started with.
Andy P

Post by Andy P »

Are these Evergreen though? I have several Clematis in my garden but none of them stay in leaf during Winter. icon_scratch
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

these are evergreen but mine have had severe die back from last winter.
the warm spell in march before the tundra set in shattered my stems.
looked like they had exploded.
seem to be growing back quite strongly now though.
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

flounder wrote:Most 'vigorous' climbers would probably have that fence down rather than help secure it. if you must proceed with this, the tendrils of a virginia creeper will grab on pretty quick but being deciduous I'd plant an evergreen with it such as the mentioned c. armandii or a trachelospermum

anyone else think it would pull it down or strengthen it?
Chad

Post by Chad »

C.armandii is a bit of a thug and huge. It tends to pull over most supports unless they are very secure.

I fear the set up you show will only work if you drive in some very stout stakes to take the weight.

Chad.
Deedee

Post by Deedee »

Chad wrote:C.armandii is a bit of a thug and huge. It tends to pull over most supports unless they are very secure.

I fear the set up you show will only work if you drive in some very stout stakes to take the weight.

Chad.
And secure strong wire across, the "tendrils" arent small, they need something to wrap around, i dont think the reed will be strong enough cordy as others have said. ill take a pic of mine later to show you how they wind round, its just taking off :D
The best Armandii i have seen is in a htuk members garden (bob) it covers a fence the length of his garden then some..I looked for a pic but couldn't find one, i think he maybe deleted some..
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

How about passiflora? Got one of those last week, I could put the armandii on the ivy steps instead?