Tom's Blog ferns on the move

Tom2006

Tom's Blog ferns on the move

Post by Tom2006 »

Thought I would start one, even though the garden is weeks behind where it should be. Pleased with my pond that I did last year though. I've fitted a UV this spring and the fish are really happy since. I just need to figure out a way of getting more plants around the edge of the pond (as there are hardly any shelves) and how to conceal the return pipe. icon_scratch

I have had to net it due to visiting herons and plan to tidy the net up asap. The tree fern to the left in the pot is my Medularis.

I will get more pictures tomorrow when hopefully the sun is shining. icon_thumleft

Last edited by Tom2006 on Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
Andy P

Re: Tom's Blog

Post by Andy P »

Nice ! look forward to seeing more Tom. Great that u`ve started a Blog icon_thumleft
GREVILLE

Post by GREVILLE »

Don't worry about the slow start, Tom. Successive pics on how quickly the garden catches up makes for a good thread.

Like the pond. I personally wouldn't worry about the pipe on a formal pond. I'm insane about hiding liner and hoses when the pond is natural, though.
pdid

Post by pdid »

Great to see you've started a blog Tom! The fish pond is looking good but we all want some more pics icon_thumright
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

nice pond
Trudytropics

Post by Trudytropics »

Is your pond constructed from a Woodblocx kit Tom? Looks very like it to me. Those pesky herons are a damn nuisance for ponds :evil: Very nice all the same. How about a couple of lovely acers planted really close to the pond allowing their branches to overhang somewhat, a couple of nice phormiums wood look good too. Watch Chelsea for inspiration, always plenty of water features featured :lol:
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

Very nice indeed Tom, I look forward to further updates.

;)
Panama Pete

Post by Panama Pete »

Like the pond tom. How much did it cost to constuct
Adam D

Post by Adam D »

I look forward to seeing your photos and reading your blog Tom as I don't think that I have seen any photos of your garden :?
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

I will follow this with interest.
kata

Post by kata »

Loving the pond Tom, :)

An Acer is good but a weeper, rather expensive but worth it. An example would be Acer Palmatum Tamuke yama, if you buy one protect it in winter and from drying out.

http://www.rhododendrons.co.uk/Product/ ... eyama.aspx
I need a replacement because something happened to one side of mine, now its a single side weeper but a beauty all the same with its lacey leaves...holds its purple color all year.
acerpalmatumtamukeyama.jpg
acerpalmatumtamukeyama.jpg (57.08 KiB) Viewed 1967 times
Charlie D was tryiung some biogradable pond pots, flower was a pond Lily, she also put some kind of pond soil to weigh the pot down.

http://pondplantgirl.blogspot.co.uk/201 ... -lily.html

Love your garden Tom...well done!

icon_cheers icon_cheers
tropicalwon

Post by tropicalwon »

Great looking pond Tom icon_salut

I do like members blogs, seeing how they have developed their gardens over months/years. Looking forward to future posts icon_thumleft
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

Thank you for the kind comments, I'm never satisfied really and always think it could be better.

Our garden is quite small and was just bare soil when we moved in over seven years ago. I will try to dig out some pictures if I can. I wish I had planned it instead of just bunging things in as and where we fancied. Its kept me busy since though :lol: :roll:

The pond is constructed using Woodblox, I am satisfied with the finish although it wasn't easy, especially because some of the 'blox' weren't completely straight and/or drilled properly but I got there in the end, and its still holding water. I can't remember the exact price but I priced it up in comparison to my original plan of sleepers, and it was much cheaper, and easier because I only had me myself and I to put it together, and my back wouldn't have held up to moving sleepers.

The pond does have a young gunnera and a dark phormium along with some new Clemetis which I'm hoping will all grow well this year and fill out and provide some surround. I've just moved one of my potted tree ferns to one side for some cover, as well as to help the tree fern, as it loved it there last year, despite the full sun, the humidity made it through out fronds all year long....and the constant rain. :lol:

I barely had time to get to the loo today let alone take pictures but will do some tomorrow. Just sitting down with a glass of port to watch the first Chelsea and wish I was a Millionaire. icon_thumleft
Trudytropics

Post by Trudytropics »

You should have shouted for me Tom, I love building those woodblocx structures, like giant lego :lol: Shame some of them were not straight or drilled properly, all mine were fine. Doing corners I found the trickiest, still mine look as good today as the day they were built and thats with no care at all.
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

Trudytropics wrote:You should have shouted for me Tom, I love building those woodblocx structures, like giant lego :lol: Shame some of them were not straight or drilled properly, all mine were fine. Doing corners I found the trickiest, still mine look as good today as the day they were built and thats with no care at all.
I would/will use them again. They are great quality and generally quite easy to construct. Mine was a difficult shape for one person to put together, especially with some bits not perfect, but for the price, and the finish I am very pleased and my fish love it.