hardiness fatsia japonica spidersweb?

eddie

hardiness fatsia japonica spidersweb?

Post by eddie »

Hi, I saw a nice Fatsia Japonica Spidersweb here at my local garden centre. Never saw one here before. I only know them from pics on the net. I'm planning on planting it in the back of my garden in the shade.

Do you know if the Spidersweb Fatsia is just as hardy as the normal green one? Does it grow as well in shade as the green one does?

Thanks,
Eddie

icon_sunny
Washingtonia Trachycarpus Cordyline? Bamboos Olive tree? Bananas
miketropic

Re: hardiness fatsia japonica spidersweb?

Post by miketropic »

I have one here in the states and I'm def going to test its hardiness this winter.
musabasjoos

Post by musabasjoos »

I've got 2 that have been out for the last 3 winters unprotected with no damage. Over that time I've been as low as -9c and many many frosts.
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

Buy as large as you can though. I got a tiny one late last year and its not moving at all, but our weather has been/still is rubbish.
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
multim

Post by multim »

I planted one last year and seems to equally as hardy as the all green version.......so far. New leaves began to emerge two weeks ago.
miketropic

Post by miketropic »

Just wondering if I am the only one with this problem. I got a spiders web from the UK over the winter. when I recieved it there was some white misting on the leaves. it was under a light all winter and put out 2 new leaves. both a lime green color but no white on it.. how long does it take to show up? are some leaves just green on them?
Dim

Post by Dim »

miketropic wrote:Just wondering if I am the only one with this problem. I got a spiders web from the UK over the winter. when I recieved it there was some white misting on the leaves. it was under a light all winter and put out 2 new leaves. both a lime green color but no white on it.. how long does it take to show up? are some leaves just green on them?
I planted a tiny one early last year .... when I received it, the few leaves had a lot of white markings ...

it never done much last year, but is healthy .... seems to be growing now, but the new leaves don't show as much white anymore, .... perhaps it will change in due course ....
eddie

Post by eddie »

Thanks everyone ! I'll check first thing tomorrow if the garden centre still has one available icon_thumleft
Washingtonia Trachycarpus Cordyline? Bamboos Olive tree? Bananas
brendan

Post by brendan »

miketropic wrote:Just wondering if I am the only one with this problem. I got a spiders web from the UK over the winter. when I recieved it there was some white misting on the leaves. it was under a light all winter and put out 2 new leaves. both a lime green color but no white on it.. how long does it take to show up? are some leaves just green on them?
Mike fatsia spiderwebs can push out different colour leaves with each flush. One time you may get nearly all green leaves and the next flush may be nearly all white.If your Spiderweb is still small then your better off with nearly all green leaves as it will grow quicker so I wouldn't worry.
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

Overwintered happily, but late frost last Spring knocked the fresh leaves back a lot.