If allergic to fish, will fish extract fert cause probs?

Dim

If allergic to fish, will fish extract fert cause probs?

Post by Dim »

One of my client's has a large vegetable garden (raised beds with a roof of bird netting) ...

I have been planting several types of vegetables/herbs over the past few weeks and have been growing organically ... (using organic fertilizers) ...

was working there today, and her mother told me that she is allergic to fish (very allergic and can die if eating any fish products) .... :(

One of the nutrients that I have been fertilizing with is biobizz fish mix and I have been using that as a foliar feed .... I have also been using a nutrient/fert made of seaweed/algae, and another that also has traces of hydolized fish ...

types of veg planted so far are peas, cucumber, marrow, squash, carrots, celery, tomatoes, parsley, onions, spring onions, sweet potato, sweet peppers, spinach, wild rocket, baby lettuce, chilli, beetroot, oregano, swiss chard

so, most probably a dumb question, but would the fish fertilizer cause her any problems? (the veg won't taste of fish, but not sure if it's a good idea for her to consume any of the veg?)

There is a large raised bed with strawberries that were planted last year, and I have also been foliar feeding them with some fishmix (they look very healthy .... dark green leaves with lots of flowers :cry:
kata

Re: If allergic to fish, will fish extract fert cause probs?

Post by kata »

You need to tell her and she will maybe seek medical advice Dim,
Dim

Post by Dim »

http://www.herbs2000.com/disorders/allergies_food.htm

snip:

Shellfish and fish
Foods in the same class must be avoided, that is if you are sensitive to one variety of fish or shellfish, you must avoid eating something closely related ot it, to show this, if you are allergic to oysters, you must avoid clams and scallops, but tuna may not be a problem.

Since there is a common antigen in all related species, an allergy to one kind of bony fish, may be an allergy to other kinds or even to all bony fishes. This does not mean that there is a reason to avoid eating shellfish, unless you are allergic to it too. Atopic dermatitis, hives or urticaria, and angioedema can all be cause by allergens in fish.

Though astma is rarely associated with these substances, however an asthmatic reaction from the odor of cooking fish can be brought on in someone with a super sensitivity to fish. Anaphylaxis is the greatest threat from the allergens present in fishes.Glue made from fish extract msut be avoided by persons allergic to fish.

Fertilizers that use fish extracts can also cause problems. Fish allergens can often be found in the dust of houses in fishing communities.Surimi, a processed fish product is often used to make imitation crab meat and this must be avoided at all costsby people allergic to fish. Certain meatless food products such as meatless hot dogs and pizza toppings, also may make use of surimi, and these must be avoided as well.

oh well, I've botched that job ... I will have to ask people in future if they are allergic to any products before fertilizing ... a new lesson learned I suppose
kata

Post by kata »

I spent £10.00 on some tablets for arthritis only to find the tabs contain Shellfish,

It did say about allergies, the tabs are still unopened till I ask doc about being tested for Shellfish.

I eat fresh cod, salmon.

:mrgreen:
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

You really need to tell your client. I think they will be advised not to eat the produce.
Dim

Post by Dim »

Yorkshire Kris wrote:You really need to tell your client. I think they will be advised not to eat the produce.
I have already emailed her an hour ago .... nothing is ready to eat yet, but the strawberries will ready be soon ... I have also just sent a phone text
Steady

Post by Steady »

I would have never seen that one coming! Its amazing the things you have to think about in sometimes!!
Dim

Post by Dim »

I've also emailed Biobizz and Advanced Nutrients and asked them for clarification .... but I suppose it's put a damper on things .... if it is declared safe, she will be 'eating with long teeth' .....

it's like at a cricket or rugby match .... you leave a half can of coke while you go pee ....

when you come back, you see bee's buzzing around, ... you check the can, don't see any bees but every sip you take, you expect a bee sting on your tongue
Conifers

Post by Conifers »

Dunno if it would be bad for fish allergy sufferers, but it's definitely not good for fish, absoutely lethal.
Dim wrote:it's like at a cricket or rugby match .... you leave a half can of coke while you go pee ....

when you come back, you see bee's buzzing around, ... you check the can, don't see any bees but every sip you take, you expect a bee sting on your tongue
With every sip you take, you taste someone else's pee :lol:
Dim

Post by Dim »

I received a reply from Biobizz ...

quote:

Thank you for using our products! And a very good combination with other products as well!

We appreciate your question, and honestly, your concern is justified. Better stop with foliar feeding Fish-mix right away. There is always a change there is a small portion of fish left. The same as with people with a nut or peanut allergy, even the smallest fraction can be a disaster.

You can however safely use Fish-mix with regular watering of the plants. In the soil, it will all be assimilated and transformed. There will be nothing left that can still be called “fish” . If your client is not comfortable with this answer, switch to Bio-Grow instead of Fish-Mix. For any veggie and herbal garden, Fish-mix is of course the best choice. But we leave that decision to you and your client.

We appreciate the work you do, and we wish you all the best!

With high regards,

-----------------------------------------------------------------

I will stop using fishmix in that garden... I might try Bio-Grow as I've never used it before 8)
Blairs

Post by Blairs »

I have a pathology background and unless the fertiliser is made from fresh fish (ie home made) then it is totally safe. A Seaweed based fertilser might be a good sub or a dry fish fertiliser.
Dim

Post by Dim »

Blairs wrote:I have a pathology background and unless the fertiliser is made from fresh fish (ie home made) then it is totally safe. A Seaweed based fertilser might be a good sub or a dry fish fertiliser.
I won't chance it with this client as her mom stated that she is very allergic to any fish products, ... the fishmix smells of rotten fish, and is a thick dark brown liquid but is very good (ferns also love the stuff)

for foliar feeding, I alternate between 3 products .... Biobizz fishmix, Biobizz Alga-Mic (seaweed and algae extract), and Advanced Nutrients Iguana Juice Grow (I'm still awaiting a response from Advanced Nutrients, as according to their website, it also contains a bit of fish extract)...

I will however continue to use the 3 products in all other gardens and my own
Blairs

Post by Blairs »

"the fishmix smells of rotten fish, and is a thick dark brown liquid but is very good (ferns also love the stuff)"

Does sound like it might trigger a reaction then!