Cordy's Volcano Eruption! - vulcano flower???

cordyman

Cordy's Volcano Eruption! - vulcano flower???

Post by cordyman »

See what i did there with the title :lol: Doesn't look like a new spear icon_scratch

karl66

Re: Cordy's Volcano Eruption! - vulcano flower???

Post by karl66 »

Definetly a a flower spathe but it will need to fatten up before it open's :lol: , a few days sun should help. karl.
Clive60

Post by Clive60 »

Is that unusual? my two plain C Humilis flower each year.
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

It is for me Clive I've only been doing this for 2 years and a bit, and never had a proper palm flower :oops: icon_cheers

Think there's two more on the other side? I'll be overjoyed if it's definitely a flower LOL

karl66

Post by karl66 »

clive, i'd suggest it was unusual as the volcano is a dwarf version & I've never seen one in this country flower & I have one twice as big as cordy's planted out. karl.
Andy P

Post by Andy P »

I`ve found that the standard form of C. Humilis flower quite freely at that size but being such a juvenile Palm, the Flowers don`t form fully. I have a few small Chammies that flower every year but the flowers don`t really get much bigger than they are on yours Cordy. They will probably elongate by an inch or two and that`s all they do. That`s been the experience with mine at least.
JBALLY

Post by JBALLY »

I have two decent size potted chammy cerifera putting out several large flower spikes this year and a decent sized plain chammy doing the same, but I was hoping one of my chammy vulcano would flower in hopes of crossing with one of the ceifera if I get suitable different sex flower spathes as I do not know if they are male or female. I have some plain chammy seed on a plant at the moment as a result of last years flowers and will sow the seed soon to produce my home grown plants but was hoping for a good cross this year as a cerifera x vulcano cross would be really nice.
kata

Post by kata »

Good luck Cordy!

icon_cheers
JBALLY

Post by JBALLY »

I have just noticed that my smallest chammy vulcano is flowering so it now may be possible to do my own cross pollination with one of my two flowering chammy cerifera as long as they are all do not turn out to be the same sex icon_cheers , should make for some brilliant off-spring so long as everything goes as planned.
mumfie

Post by mumfie »

cordy. i'm not convinced you have a volcano there. vulcanos have next to no teeth and a more compact habit.
Attachments
vulcano.JPG
vulcano (2).JPG
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

mumfie wrote:cordy. i'm not convinced you have a volcano there. vulcanos have next to no teeth and a more compact habit.

Wonder what it could be then

Far too stiff for humilis.

Some more pics here, and pics of it as a baby

www.hardytropicals.co.uk/forum/viewtopi ... =1&t=19100
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

Apparently they can have sharp spines

"
Chamaerops humilis ' Vulcano' is a very attractive type of the more common humilis. Vulcano is also evergreen, low maintenance and hardy to about -10°C or more when mature but has masses of tight leaves giving a very striking appearance. Although they are slow growing, they grow multiple trunks with sharp spines on the stems. Chamaerops Vulcano can be planted in very windy locations which do not seem to effect the leaves. "

http://www.easytropicals.com/pp/Palms/C ... lcano.html
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

Mine have little tiny teeth rather han spines like a standard.

They're more like Trachycarpus Fortunei teeth, very small and not finger prickable.

Even my huge one doesn't have any real bite at all.
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

unless they have natural spine variance? (ps goggs speaking of variance, get a pic of your Moseri up in the fatsia thread to see if deeply lobed)
mumfie

Post by mumfie »

cordy. I hope you are right and I'm certainly not one of those extreme fanatics you find arguing on EPs about classifications of palms. however, there is a certain look I thought all vulcanos shared in common. the leaves are so tight together that you can rarely see one full leaf at any time if that makes any sense.

I randomly picked this image on Google.
Attachments
ChamaeropsVulcano.JPG688681193.jpeg