How are your Musa Basjoo's doing?

daz h

Re: How are your Musa Basjoo's doing?

Post by daz h »

got mine at a plant fair in april and it only had one leaf has taken a while to get going but is going well now ,
seven pups on it but a couple of these are above ground ?? is that normal ?
Attachments
2013-07-19 07.22.11.jpg
2013-07-19 07.21.13.jpg
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

Yes my large ones have above ground pups. I'm only allowing 2 pup per plant this year, the single big stem gives such an impact versus a group of tatty ones
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

A single large plant is much more susceptible to wind damage. Clumps give each other mutual protection.
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by cordyman »

Dave Brown wrote:A single large plant is much more susceptible to wind damage. Clumps give each other mutual protection.

One is by a large fence the other in a sheltered corner, so I guess its a risk, but i'm willing to take it icon_salut
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

4th leaf out now, and its another intact one drunken_smilie1 Gorgeous icon_cheers

fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

Andy P wrote:Yes they can. Just slice them off and they will grow. Just make sure when you cut the pups off that you keep some roots on them and don`t take too many roots off the mother plant. I use a large serrated kitchen knife. You can be quite brutal with them as they don`t mind root disturbance at all. As long as the mother plant and the pups have some roots then they will be ok. I`ve hacked pups off Basjoos many times now and have never killed a single plant.
Thanks for that, the main stem died and I was thinking of taking the pups off to get them growing before winter.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Been a bit battered by the incessant NE Winds, gusting to 25mph today. Last leaf had the top snapped off, and also had a sikki leaf ripped off.
Attachments
2013-07-19 20-34-20 Musa basjoo.jpg
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Andy P »

Not had any winds of more than around 3mph here for at least 3 weeks now and certainly no gusting winds, so that and the hot Weather is certainly helping my Basjoos to reach new heights. Think i need to take a few pics tomorrow but i`m guessing they`re reaching around the 9ft mark now which is brilliant considering back in May i didn`t think they would do very much at all this year. My garden, in general, has certainly caught up after the terrible Spring we had. Just a few weeks of hot Weather has made all the difference.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Andy P wrote: My garden, in general, has certainly caught up after the terrible Spring we had. Just a few weeks of hot Weather has made all the difference.
Summer has not been good here, and real growth has only started in the last 2 weeks, but the NE Wind has just not stopped. It is normally a spring thing, but not this year. :roll:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright
cheshirepalms
Location: Ellesmere Port, Mersey estuary, Cheshire 53.2N 2.8W

Post by cheshirepalms »

Mine is first year planted and going well, there are 4 pups around the base. I think I will take Dave’s advice and leave them for future protection, the plan is to protect the whole package in winter time.
Attachments
july194.jpg
derrick

Post by derrick »

I have 5 like yours Cordy they look better in clump if the wind dont damage the leaves .If you protect them its a pain lots of straw or insulation. One is better for you maybe with some backup pups .
Attachments
DSCF3423.JPG
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

I know the clumps are more natural etc but I always think they look tatty, and don't give me the wow factor as much as a single huge p-stem. All personal preference I guess icon_thumleft
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

I thought I had posted on here, but maybe it was another topic on basjoo.

My front garden clump has 2 flowering stems. :D I have taken quite a few pics since end of July but here is one of the lastest.
Attachments
2013-08-11 14-02-24 Musa basjoo flowers.jpg
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by derrick »

Great Dave two flowers none on mine yet can you eat the flowers or something always see them in the iternational shop
Neil Ziemski

Post by Neil Ziemski »

A bit off topic here!
Can ask you Cordy what you colour or stain, creosote, you painted your fence with, I need mine doing and I really like yours
Regards
Neil