How are your Musa Basjoo's doing?

cordyman

How are your Musa Basjoo's doing?

Post by cordyman »

Not seen many talk about them recently.

West border basjoo was about to dispatch the first full roller, when wind last week snapped the midrib, had to cut the hanging remains off, was going to be a beaut of a leaf too :cry:

Shed basjoo has the first leaf out and another roller poking through

Nick

Re: How are your Musa Basjoo's doing?

Post by Nick »

Not very well :(
Despite my best efforts to protect my only plant with a polystyrene box they were still cut to the ground. It was too cold here in Wiltshire. They have started growing again from beneath the soil.
jezza

Post by jezza »

Blimey nick's alive! :shock: :D

Planted mine two weeks ago and it's going pretty quick.
call

Post by call »

my one has currently two leaves and one coming :D
Delboy

Post by Delboy »

Mine had a nice big leaf but i walked past it carrying a palm and snagged the leaf and ripped it clean off :roll:
Another roller following, but slow.

One small one looks dead, hoping it shoots from the soil and another one with 18" of stem has stopped doing anything.
Dim

Post by Dim »

I planted 2 in a garden last year ... I never protected them, and they died to the ground ...

I worked there today, and they still have not emerged, so I am giving up with those 2 .... I will buy 2 more and replace them, but will wrap them with a cage/straw this coming winter
Wilza

Post by Wilza »

Mine is in a pot and about 5 or 6 inch tall! (pup) I'm thinking I should of bought a bigger one , I don't know what growth it will put on on, but i don't want to plant it in the ground if it won't make it through the winter :roll:
DiCasS

Post by DiCasS »

Wilza wrote:Mine is in a pot and about 5 or 6 inch tall! (pup) I'm thinking I should of bought a bigger one , I don't know what growth it will put on on, but i don't want to plant it in the ground if it won't make it through the winter :roll:
It'd be rotten luck if you lost a Basjoo in the ground Wilza. I've never lost one yet in the ground without protection, and had some dreadful freezes here over the last few years. If you lost the pseudostem each year, you should still have new shoots come up. icon_thumleft

Dim, I've only just had shoots come up in my front garden. The back ones were up a while back, but it's sunnier round there, whereas the front is in shade.

Di
Last edited by DiCasS on Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm at an age where my back goes out more than I do.
Supporter of the N.A.S.
Andy P

Post by Andy P »

My Basjoo patch has really started to take off now. They`ve been trying to put on some height since i unwrapped them in April but they`ve constantly been shredded by winds. This last weeks weather has done them the world of good. I was looking at them earlier tonight and the largest one is already about 6ft tall. There`s a dozen of them in total plus a few small pups. Will try to get some pics up tomorrow.
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

I let mine get cut back to ground level and, as yet, nothing has sprouted.
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

Just starting to sprout from the ground has the main stem died, but its not doing to well :(
kata

Post by kata »

I'm buying this and the swarzkof so ask me about the Basjoo in about a month,

It should be here by weekend.

http://www.hardytropicals.co.uk/forum/v ... 26&t=20099

:lol: :lol:
billdango

Post by billdango »

They seem to be a bit slow down here in Southampton compared to last year but it has been a cold sunless spring.

Hopefully they may speed up later on if we get something resembling a summer.

billdango icon_sunny
kata

Post by kata »

Supposed to be good all week Bill, the map was covered at dinner-time with suns from top to bottom.

:mrgreen:
Wilza

Post by Wilza »

DiCasS wrote:
Wilza wrote:Mine is in a pot and about 5 or 6 inch tall! (pup) I'm thinking I should of bought a bigger one , I don't know what growth it will put on on, but i don't want to plant it in the ground if it won't make it through the winter :roll:
It'd be rotten luck if you lost a Basjoo in the ground Wilza. I've never lost one yet in the ground without protection, and had some dreadful freezes here over the last few years. If you lost the pseudostem each year, you should still have new shoots come up. icon_thumleft

Dim, I've only just had shoots come up in my front garden. The back ones were up a while back, but it's sunnier round there, whereas the front is in shade.

Di
It's going between a shed and a 6ft fence with a brick wall/building behind it and facing south , I have access to horse muck, rotted grass and leaves, so i'm hoping for big results! :>beard<:

actually..... I think i'm going to go out this weekend and buy a bigger one :lol:

icon_salut