Some random garden pics, June 10th

RogerBacardy

Some random garden pics, June 10th

Post by RogerBacardy »

This is a great view from the kitchen window. My 11 favourite plants in a row!
_MG_6903R.jpg
From left:
1. Phormium. Bit of a tiddler as it was from a cutting last year, but is sending up a flower spike already!

2. Olive tree, slowly thickening up. Will keep trimmed and around this height as I love that look, but realise it's a long-term project!

3.Agave, not sure of variety, but bone hardy where other agaves (ferox, americana, schotti, parryi etc) have failed.

4. A small £10 bamboo, been giving this lots of fish waste feed recently and it's sending up loads of culms. Have it contained in a large (but buried) plastic planter to try to stop it spreading.

5. A £15 market-bought chammy that was in flower when I bought it. petioles much shorter now than they were :)

6.My £75 butia , actually this got winter damage before I received it earlier this year. New spears were dead and have been trimmed off, but latest spears look alive (hooray)

7. My £5 cordyline, bought off gumtree as a tiddler, it's been there about 4 years and has grown loads. First year it has flowered. So glad it is flowering, want it to be bulkier.

8. Rheum plamatum (rhubarb), such a fast-growing herbaceous perennial. Flower spikes tower upwards from zero to 2m plus in no time!

9. Dicksonia A. Think I have it in the ideal place, no need to worry about wind damage and the surrounding plants will give a bit of winter protection. Quite a lot of croziers / fronds this year.

10. Trachycarpus f. tried to dig this up and move it a few inches further away form the fence - failed, but might try again as I will have encouraged new roots close to the trunk.

11. Finally, a musa basjoo that you can barely see in this shot, but it's there. Not looking too good this year after the largely awful March / April, but I didn't lose any psuedotrunk. Should look good by August icon_salut
Last edited by RogerBacardy on Mon Jun 10, 2013 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RogerBacardy

Re: Some random garden pics, June 10th

Post by RogerBacardy »

gardengym.jpg
My DIY (supposed) home gym / hammock frame / swing frame. Can swap the attachments as you wish Made from some scaffold poles I bought off gumtree and allen key tube clamps. My 7 year old daughter is always on this. I use it for 10 mins a month! :lol:
chamaerops.jpg
This chammy is flowering again, just noticed today. Can't see the flowers yet, only just emerging and they're obscured by campanula
RogerBacardy

Post by RogerBacardy »

cordylineflowers.jpg
All 4 of my cordylines are flowering this year. Such a wonderful fragrance, maybe a bit overpowering, but still pleasant.
cordylineflower.jpg
Trachycarpus is flowering too.
trachyflowers.jpg
It's actually a double Trachycarpus.
floweringtrachy.jpg
RogerBacardy

Post by RogerBacardy »

rhubarb.jpg
A better shot of the Rheum palmatum, Dicksonia, Trachycarpus and M basjoo :D
RogerBacardy

Post by RogerBacardy »

pond.jpg
I like the cool colours of the irises around the pond. Soon the agapanthus and verbena bonariensis (also cool coloured) around it will be flowering too :)

AGAVE.jpg
The agave up close. So brutally tough, yet so symmetrical - perfection!

clematis the president.jpg
Clematis - The President up close. Isn't Mother Nature / evolution the most brilliant designer!

frontgarden10.6.13.jpg
A portion of our front garden. I love green front gardens, so am trying to do my bit too. No prizes for guessing the colour scheme!! It's north-facing, so wanted to reflect the colour of the blue light. Alliums (just finishing flowering now), chives, solanum crispum, clematis, aquilegia, and soon there will be lavender, campanula and verbena in flower. Our garden never has everything in flower at the same time, more of a succession.
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

All is looking really good!! icon_thumleft
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
kata

Post by kata »

It is Tom,

So many plants. I keep meaning to buy a verbena bonariensis they are so lovely.

Pond looks good as well. I could be tempted to a Cordyline if they smell that nice... :mrgreen:

A lovely garden Rog!!

icon_sunny icon_sunny
DiCasS

Post by DiCasS »

You've got a very nice garden Roger with a lovely selection of plants, and a good reason to keep looking out your kitchen window icon_thumleft .

The close up shots are just beautiful icon_thumleft

Di
I'm at an age where my back goes out more than I do.
Supporter of the N.A.S.
RogerBacardy

Post by RogerBacardy »

Cheers for comments, I think to be fair the fence looks pretty ugly but I'm growing stuff to cover it (bamboo, passionflower, and phormiums mainly), so in a year or 2 it should look great. Been doing this lark for 15 years, but only been at this place since Dec 2007 and it's still 'getting there'. Landscaping all done, but waiting for plants to gain height to complete the look I was after. Couldn't afford to to cheat and buy them big!

Originally there was no lawn out the back! Was a network of paths with trellis in between, like a mini maze. Nice, but not so good as a play area for kids.

I recycled all the bricks, trellis and sleepers, and some of the hardcore.

Kata, I can post you some seeds later this year, they germinate quite freely and they are great plants. Tiny stems with a square profile (!), that have loads and loads of small flowers up high and they flower for ages. Great for planting amongst other plants as they don't cast much of a shadow. Also, the bees love 'em. Could post around late August I expect :) Your own garden is really coming along too. Planting that Trachycarpus made all the difference!
The Codfather

Post by The Codfather »

Very nice indeed......love it icon_thumleft
AKA - Martin

Wish list - Big Palms or Dicksonia antarctica's but open to anything really.....Cash Waiting !
gabriel

Post by gabriel »

Nice garden Roger icon_thumleft
Deedee

Post by Deedee »

Great garden RB, love your pond and the planting around it, also your choice of plants, they go great together icon_thumleft
kata

Post by kata »

Thanks Roger for the seed of the verbena bonariensis and the comment on my pride and joy,

The small Trachis are throwing new spears too.

Whats the child doing... :mrgreen:
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

I wouldn't say random pics, more great pics of your garden. Good to see the kids enjoying and helping in the garden.
Clive60

Post by Clive60 »

It is all looking very lush and healthy, a nice selection of plants.