Prayer to the Indivisa god UPDATE

fieldfest

Re: Prayer to the Indivisa god

Post by fieldfest »

the big ones at ventnor are in dappled shade in a raised bed, well a heaped bed if that makes sense
edit: found a pic of some there:
DiCasS

Post by DiCasS »

Aaaw that pic is what I aspire to but know I'll never get. I can dream. I repotted mine the weekend (2nd time now and it's still alive icon_cheers ) I've put it to the back so I don't have to look at it too often. I'm trying growing some from seed as well, they've not long germinated and I can't tell at the moment whether they are the real Indivisa or not.

Di
I'm at an age where my back goes out more than I do.
Supporter of the N.A.S.
MikeC

Post by MikeC »

I started with three a few years back, now down to my last one.

:(

They look great and then, bang, they yellow and die.
kata

Post by kata »

have just planted one.
Very nice John, nice space there as well.

icon_sunny
kata

Post by kata »

Aaaw that pic is what I aspire to.
Di, I agree it looks a beautiful scene.

icon_sunny
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

What great plants :D
allangreenbean

Post by allangreenbean »

Had mine 2 years, lost some, yes they just vanished but I suspect the work of slugs.

Planted up the rest in various spots in the garden so edging my bets and hoping I have picked a good spot somewhere.

They do seem to like a bit of shade.
pdid

Re: Prayer to the Indivisa god UPDATE

Post by pdid »

Update on this. It has done ok icon_cheers
PicsArt_1383300661582.jpg
indivisa.jpg
indivisa.jpg (82.97 KiB) Viewed 1089 times
Now on to Winter. As a rule I don't protect the more common Australis but this is a little bit more special to me so do I protect or not? It's in a bed with a few Dicksonia antarctica so it wouldn't be difficult to just fleece the whole bed.
multim

Post by multim »

They are definitely not as hardy as C. Australis in my experience. I keep mine potted and plunge in dappled shade in frost free months and bring it in for the Winter. I have 4,the oldest has a four inch trunk and looking good but having lost all of mine years ago when planted out, I won't chance it. However, those pop-up fleece frost cloches may be the answer? Or perhaps may help? In my opinion, they are the most beautiful of cordylines and the most difficult to grow.
billdango

Post by billdango »

In what condition do they grow these plants in New Zealand?

The south coast of England is climatically similer to parts of South island so if they can grow it there I am sure we can grow it here.

After all C Australis has no problem along the south coast of the UK and in other places as well.

I would love to try one in the dappled shade of my palm trees in my more sheltered back yard as the front garden is to windy most of the year.

billdango :D
DaveP

Post by DaveP »

My fully exposed indivisa coped with the winter of 09/10 without any protection and withstood several nights at -4C, 1 night at -6.3C together with a week of temps not rising above 1C. There was no hint of any leaf damage and as soon as warmer temperatures arrived, it resumed growth. The australis around here were unscathed as well.

I've found that the most important aspect to growing indivisa is extremely sharp drainage. Plenty of moisture is also important, but water needs to run right through the roots and disappear almost immediately. They are notorious for suddenly collapsing a few months to a year after planting out and this is generally due to fungal disease. Too much humus in the soil can encourage root rot via phytopthora, fusarium etc. so a sandy, loam compost is best. For this reason, bark or garden compost mulches are best avoided.

As to growing in sun or dappled shade; shade will help prevent radiation burning on very cold, clear nights in the north and east, but it is probably unnecessary in milder, westerly, coastal regions. I've never given mine any overhead protection and it has been outside, fully exposed for a good 10 years or so.
multim

Post by multim »

If I lived in Torquay then I would plant Indivisa in the ground too!
Any chance of an image? After 10 years, it must be quite big.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

multim wrote:If I lived in Torquay then I would plant Indivisa in the ground too!
Any chance of an image? After 10 years, it must be quite big.
Indivisa is actually more cold tolerant than australis, I have heard -12C mentioned, but can't tolerate as high temperatures, however, people always blame cold for losses, when there could actually be many other reasons why they have died.

Mine, while I had it, recovered over winter/spring and became 'rocky' over summer/autumn through root loss. The answer seemed to be to mound gravel up against the trunk allowing new roots to form from the trunk. I watered more in summer and appeared the roots rotted during that time. Even with loads of grit added, the drainage was not right, and when I checked the root ball one autumn the roots had only formed at the edge of the pot, much the same as Alocasia. The centre compost, which remains wetter for longer, was devoid of ANY roots. This says to me, given the choice, it chooses quick draining over staying moist, so if you have moisture retentive peat/bark based soil/compost, even if loads of grit added, you will have an uphill struggle with these.

I think DaveP has the correct approach. :wink: very quick drying, watered very regularly.
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Delboy »

Mine is still alive going into its 3rd winter.
Next year it is going in the ground.The new house has a shaded border so I will plant it there, amongst ferns and Hosta.
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

I just took delivery of one of these the other day.