Brugmansia question

Wilza

Brugmansia question

Post by Wilza »

I've two Brugs grown from cuttings purchased last November, both are healthy and both are still single stems. one being about 3ft tall. This might sound a dumb question, but I was looking on google about Brug cuttings and read this...

"As the stem grows and matures remove lower branches and leaves and continue doing so until the stem Y's"

should I pick off all the tiny side leaves that are growing up the length of the stem? What does this do? I assume it must put more energy into the top with the hope of it forming a Y sooner? they don't seem to be growing into branches?!

Cheers, Will
Andy P

Re: Brugmansia question

Post by Andy P »

I just left mine to do their own thing. They eventually branched into a Y when they reached about 6ft. They totally de-foliated during Winter but are now starting to leaf up again.The leaves only really seem to be around the Y branch though.
Wilza

Post by Wilza »

I think my larger one might be 6 foot when Autumn comes, I'm not going to want to cut it! especially if it hasn't flowered! :lol:
jungle jas

Post by jungle jas »

Wilza wrote:I've two Brugs grown from cuttings purchased last November, both are healthy and both are still single stems. one being about 3ft tall. This might sound a dumb question, but I was looking on google about Brug cuttings and read this...

"As the stem grows and matures remove lower branches and leaves and continue doing so until the stem Y's"

should I pick off all the tiny side leaves that are growing up the length of the stem? What does this do? I assume it must put more energy into the top with the hope of it forming a Y sooner? they don't seem to be growing into branches?!

Cheers, Will
I would leave the lower leaves on if they are not branching the plant needs these to photosynthesize.
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

Wilza wrote:"As the stem grows and matures remove lower branches and leaves and continue doing so until the stem Y's"
Can't imagine what the point of that would be ... mine have massive lower leaves and IMO that must be contributing energy to the plant to hurry-it-up to flowering size.

Worth considering whether you want a standard or a bush, and that would influence whether you take off any side branches. I find that the wood can be too weak to support the top growth, and I have had to strap a couple of stout canes, tightly, to the stem to support the weight of the head for a season or two, but that may be because they have been grown in my conservatory for at least a full season and may have grown quickly - taller than the stem diameter can easily support.

If your Brug is from a cutting taken above the Y originally then it is already from "mature wood" will flower soon-ish, whereas if from "juvenile" wood before the Y it will have to grow to maturity before it starts to flower.

Either way, it is the act of branching that generates the flower buds.
Arlon Tishmarsh

Post by Arlon Tishmarsh »

Wilza wrote: "As the stem grows and matures remove lower branches and leaves and continue doing so until the stem Y's"

Cheers, Will

I never remove the leaves as they aid the plant but i do remove any tiny shoots that form at the leaf base joining the stem.
Steph

Post by Steph »

I have some with that annoying habit, I believe the branching starts when conditions are right - light/temp/feed/hormones/day length, sometimes it just doesn't happen when you want it to.
I have chopped the nice branchy bit off as a cutting to make the plant I desire, retaining the mother plant as a backup & breeding stock.

Feel a bit ruthless doing it, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't... genetics.
I've also noted that Angels Skyline & Angels Flight are lanky plants, maybe I should have spotted that in the name!
Wilza

Post by Wilza »

Arlon Tishmarsh wrote:
Wilza wrote: "As the stem grows and matures remove lower branches and leaves and continue doing so until the stem Y's"

Cheers, Will

I never remove the leaves as they aid the plant but i do remove any tiny shoots that form at the leaf base joining the stem.

Yeah, those are the shoots i'm referring to, I only remove large leaves when they go yellow and tatty. This is my first year growing them. I'm finding they are a fascinating plant to grow...

I've just been out to get this picture and noticed there is a Y forming on the smallest one YAY!! icon_cheers :D
Attachments
20130612_175659-1.jpg
20130612_175727.jpg
Wilza

Post by Wilza »

Steph wrote:I've also noted that Angels Skyline & Angels Flight are lanky plants, maybe I should have spotted that in the name!
:lol: :ahhh!: