The Quadrology - Cerifera joins pack!

cordyman

Re: The Quadrology - Cerifera joins pack!

Post by cordyman »

JBALLY wrote:It looks like my favourite two cerifera have pollinated each other and as they have been kept together isolated in one of my greenhouses with the only other flowering chammy being a vulcano in their( the vulcano flowered about a week after the cerifera started to flower) looks like I have got massive bunches of viable cerifera seed ( pics to follow ). Loads of my other chammy have flowered again this year and I seem to find when they start to flower they flower every year thereafter icon_thumleft

Can a vulcano cross with a cerifera?
JBALLY

Post by JBALLY »

Yes Cordy mate I think they have been crossed very successfully before but I think in my case they will be pure cerifera as the two cerifera in my greenhouse were male and female and flowered at the same time, then my vulcano started to put out male spathes a week behind and was then put in the greenhouse with the two cerifera and by this time the female cerifera would most definitely have been pollinated by the other cerifera male. The vulcano was only added just in case (next year though I will try and make the cross again).
miketropic

Post by miketropic »

are ere diff types of cerifera...mine looks nothing like yours cordy. I like the look of the thin leaves and the color is wonderful.
fgtbell

Post by fgtbell »

Hi Mike, Chamaerops are very variable and even within one species they can have a lot of variation in shape and colour. Our local garden centre sells Chamaerops "atlantica" which is not an official name, it has much narrower leaflets than C. cerifera but a similar colour. The only mention I can find online is this: http://www.algarveresident.com/12921-63 ... -part-four , does it look familiar ?
miketropic

Post by miketropic »

mine is the exact opposite.. cordys and the "atlantica" have the wonderful blue/white color and narrow leaflets. Mine is more white with very wide leaflets..almost no blue color at all