hardy aroids

jonny

hardy aroids

Post by jonny »

Hi everyone! I am so pleased that i have stumbled on this forum. I wasnt a member of uk oasis but i did spend many an hour browsing it for info on plants.I have abit of a thing for aroids at the moment and i am wondering if there are any unusual ones that are hardy here on the south coast. Has anyone got any suggestions?
lucian

Re: hardy aroids

Post by lucian »

OK, first off the term 'aroids' covers a massive number of plants. I'll do my best to make some suggestions:

If you're after something a bit special I can stongly recommend Amorphophallus (and related) species. Some are very hardy, others need bringing in and storing as corms for periods of time. I'm particularly partial to Konjac as it's easy to keep (store dry until it kicks into growth and is more resistant to rotting than others). Sauromatum Venosum (Voodoo lilly) is pretty reliably hardy as is Dracunculus Vulgaris.

Callas / Zantedeschias are (semi) hardy...depending on the type. Zantedeschias are pretty hardy and there is quite a variety. There are some that get pretty big and have nice foliage. Callas are worth a go, depending upon the lineage - they are cross-bred from a couple of varieties and some are hardier than others. I've had good success with reds and yellows.

Arums - There are a number of reliably hardy arums.

Then you've got Colocassias, Aloccassias, Philodendrons....the list goes on and on though they aren't hardy. There is one philodendron that some people have tried and found to be 'slightly' hardy. I can't remember which it is though (useless I know).

Come to think of it, rather than read me going on and on....and on.....and on, I suggest you take a look at The International Aroid Society - http://www.aroid.org/aroid/index.html
Nigel Fear

Post by Nigel Fear »

Theres Arum Maculatum and A.Italicum for starters, then theres the Zantedeschia's such as Z.Aethiopica [crowborough and Z.Green Goddess].These should get you started,though they're not rare or unusual they are hardy for Chichester.
grub

Post by grub »

Hi Jonny, welcome aboard :D, can't help on the Aroids front but can advise that deep pockets are beneficial on here :lol:
Petefree

Post by Petefree »

Hi Jonny
Welcome to HTUK!
I think the Philodendron Lucian was referring to is Philodendron selloum. I bought one recently from Amulree in Norfolk. They say it's hardy - I think I'm going to keep mine potted for a year or two and move it into the greenhouse overwinter - but know others are keeping it outside year round.
There are also a couple of Colocasias which some are finding hardy in southern England:
Colocasia fallax and Colocasia gaoligongensis (I've probably mispelt that - but there is a thread on the main forum here all about it).
Pete
MarkD

Post by MarkD »

Welcome to the forum Jonny :)

As alot has said Arums and Zantedeshia aethiopica and it's cultivars are your best bets. Amorphophallus konjac, Sauromatum venosum, and some Arisaemas are worth a mention too.
Darren Turner

Post by Darren Turner »

Welcome to the Forum Jonny :D
Another south coast member, I'm not far from you.
As other have said aroids is a pretty big plant group, anything specific :?:

Cheers

Darren.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Hi Jonny, and welcome to the forum 8)

I know mainly about the few Colocasias and Alocasia that I grow, of the thousands of varieties. Some are hardy as rhizomes, but generally they emerge too late to get the biggest plants. However, being right on the South Coast you may get them to sprout earlier. :wink:

As has been said C. non fallax, or C. gaoligongensis are probably the hardiest. But C.burgundy stem, fontanesii come back regularly. Although the rhizomes rot left in the open ground, the stolons (runners) are much tougher and sprout around late May , early June. These will reach 3 feet or so by September. For the really big monsters though you will need to keep them growing over winter. Even C. Black Magic has come back after being left under an unheated covered bit that went down to -2C. C. Mammoth ( the Wilko's Alocasia) did not completely stop growing at -2C under cover. :D

Do a search on the plant types you are looking at to see if they have been discussed in the thousands of posts we have. :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by jonny »

Thanks for all your replys. A BIG hello to darren in pompey! I have been growing colocasia non fallax in my garden for a few years now and its lovely and is as hard as nails,and somewhat of a weed! . I have just managed to get a konjac through the winter and its coming on quite well.Whats all this about having deep pockets then? Are you all loaded and if so can i have some please?
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

jonny wrote:Whats all this about having deep pockets then? Are you all loaded and if so can i have some please?
Well, it refers to the fact that when people get hooked into these plants they will never be loaded again. :lol:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Don »

Did anyone mention Arisaemas? Loads of hardy and weird plants to suit most tastes
Rob L

Post by Rob L »

These posts pre-date the last three consecutive 'hard' winters. Any experiences to give relating to the plants mentioned here? Jonny, is the Fallax still growing in Chichester like a weed or has it been zapped?

http://www.aroid.org/horticulture/hardy.php

This list is from 2001 but still interesting. Odora from this list seems to be pretty hardy Alocasia and a nice form with it. Anyone with any new experiences with Odora from this winter or last?
Conifers

Post by Conifers »

Don't forget Lysichiton species too
jonny

Post by jonny »

What ever happened to Darren Turner? icon_scratch . Colocasia fallax or non fallax or whatever its called now does still come back but not as vigorously as it did back then.