Ideas please - dry-ish, shady bank

ourarka

Ideas please - dry-ish, shady bank

Post by ourarka »

Really looking for some inspiration on what to do with this bank. It is fairly dry, though very clayey, and gets some dappled afternoon shade but certainly not bright sunshine. I am all for a fairly busy, foliage look but dont have a whole lot of time (or money) to spend on a big revamp. I know their are some Musa basjoos somewhat out of their 'ideal' conditions but they stem from when I had lots of pups and not much to do with them .... though to be honest they don't do bad there. Also, the overhead canopy keeps it fairly sheltered in winter so these basjoos came through unprotected with only a 1-2" loss of stem.

Looking forward to some ideas on how to liven it up a bit.
Attachments
photo1.JPG
photo2.JPG
Mo

Re: Ideas please - dry-ish, shady bank

Post by Mo »

I would recommend begonia grandis evansiana for some good ground cover. Mine comes up reliably every year and has great foliage. Also brunnera 'Jack Frost', dryopteris fern will take those conditions too. That's all I can think of. :D
Conifers

Post by Conifers »

Maybe a Mahonia?
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

throw some bags of manure on as mulch
also plants some plants
ourarka

Post by ourarka »

Revolutionary stuff Mr List!! In all seriousness, manure is a problem because my dogs will see it as a free buffet .... and plants is what I am working on ... hence the post!!
tropical Tom

Post by tropical Tom »

Your garden sounds (and looks) just like mine! even down to the clay, oh and you forgot to mention the tree roots which prevent you digging! I have a large leaf Ivy as ground cover, I'll get the name later, A couple of Trachycarpus's are growing quite nicely and one of Nigels amazing waggies gives it all some height. I find a mix of Hostas work well, relatively cheap and you can divide them easily too! If you're planting a specimen plant such as a waggie, try to make watering and feeding easier at the time of planting! a couple of 18" lengths of pvc pipe drilled with lots of holes in the bottom half and just an inch sticking out of the ground enables the water from your can to get to the roots without running away down the slope. You'll get there, but buy the right plants, don't waste money on the wrong ones icon_thumleft
leunerj

Post by leunerj »

I would put a Euphorbia at the back - stygiana, mellifera or x pasteureii perhaps. Nice foliage, structure and scented flowers.
Conifers

Post by Conifers »

leunerj wrote:I would put a Euphorbia at the back - stygiana, mellifera or x pasteureii perhaps.
ourarka wrote: my dogs will see it as a free buffet ....
Could be some nasty incompatibility there, if the pooches try to eat the Euphorbia . . .
MikeC

Post by MikeC »

Nice spot for a Fatsia Japonica Variegata

Mr List

Post by Mr List »

ourarka wrote:Revolutionary stuff Mr List!! In all seriousness, manure is a problem because my dogs will see it as a free buffet .... and plants is what I am working on ... hence the post!!
well you don't really say what you are after.

if you put in some effort and are willing to water the area you can grow loads of stuff, pretty much what ever you want.

are you looking just for plants for dry shade?
won't find it easy for an overgrown jungle look in dry shade if you don't irrigate the area at all.
leunerj

Post by leunerj »

Conifers wrote:
leunerj wrote:I would put a Euphorbia at the back - stygiana, mellifera or x pasteureii perhaps.
ourarka wrote: my dogs will see it as a free buffet ....
Could be some nasty incompatibility there, if the pooches try to eat the Euphorbia . . .
Good point Conifers! I don't have any animals at home so I don't think about that sort of thing.
carolpz

Post by carolpz »

I agree with Mikec, I have a Fatsia jap. 'Spider's Web' which has grown extremely well with very little light let alone sun, and equally minimal soil.