Catalpa Bignonioides

Libby

Catalpa Bignonioides

Post by Libby »

I have a problem with my Indian Bean Tree, this has never happened before, it started yesterday so I left the hose on it last night for 2 hours incase it was lack of water. On the right it seems OK top and middle -crisp, left droopy.

Any suggestions
Conifers

Re: Catalpa Bignonioides

Post by Conifers »

Looks seriously diseased. Sorry, no idea what by. It isn't just lack of water though.
Blairs

Post by Blairs »

Gosh. I would try the hose to it every day and then some feed after a few days of watering.
Conifers

Post by Conifers »

Libby

Post by Libby »

Oh phewy, this doesn't look good. It has always had yellowish leaves from the day we got it, I quite like it and fed it each year, but maybe it was dying when we bought it.

So if we bought another one, (as this is are only tree) I presume we couldn't plant it in the same place?

Anyway thank you for the help much appreciated, this forum is so helpful xxx
DAVIDEVANS

Post by DAVIDEVANS »

Libby, what a shame. It's my favourite tree, I have a small one myself. The leaves are normally yellow anyway.

I think the information in the links provided give some hope. The suggestions are to use a balanced feed, water well and remove and burn the infected branches. Hope it works for you.
Libby

Post by Libby »

I will definately give the feed ago, can anyone recommend a 10 10 10 or as close as please?
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

10-10-10 is a ratio Libby Just means the NPK are at the same level. Growmore is 7-7-7 so pretty close.
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Conifers »

DAVIDEVANS wrote: The suggestions are to use a balanced feed, water well and remove and burn the infected branches. Hope it works for you.
Libby wrote:I will definately give the feed ago, can anyone recommend a 10 10 10 or as close as please?
Removing and burning the infected branches is far more important!
Libby

Post by Libby »

I did some further research myself and have now come to that conclusion also. I was extremely surprised to see how many other plants, trees and vegetables where affected by this. It stated that I need to dig out as much root stock as possible and then grass it over for 15 years :shock: Bearing in mind there is no grass in this area it could be problamatic!!! May have to re-re-design the garden again :wink:
Libby

Post by Libby »

I was wondering..........

I have quite a number of potted bamboo's and I really need something planted where the Indian bean tree was to give the garden balance, should I plant one of my bamboos and see how it does?

The bad new is that my neighbours enormous beech hedge appears to have been affected by the same disease!
miketropic

Post by miketropic »

there is a MONSTER of this right up the street from me. I will take a pic and get some seeds. how do I know where the beans are ready to pull off and the seeds are good?
Conifers

Post by Conifers »

miketropic wrote: how do I know where the beans are ready to pull off and the seeds are good?
When they turn brown and start to split open. Probably late September or October.
miketropic

Post by miketropic »

Is this the type everyone is referring to? This one is about 50 yards from the house and is easily 30 ft tall with beans all over it
excuse the pic taken as I drove by out the sun roof :lol: I can walk over and get better pics if needed.

Conifers

Post by Conifers »

miketropic wrote:Is this the type everyone is referring to? This one is about 50 yards from the house and is easily 30 ft tall with beans all over it
Could be, or could be its close relative Catalpa ovata.