My Phoenix canariensis_CIDP rotted in the centre after -4.5*c suggestions needed

greendragon

My Phoenix canariensis_CIDP rotted in the centre after -4.5*c suggestions needed

Post by greendragon »

Ever since last winter the new spears on my Phoenix canariensis_CIDP have not moved an inch, yesterday I looked into the centre and to my disappointment the new spears looked like they had black mould on them, I gave one a gentle tug and out it came! :x

That's the last Phoenix canariensis_CIDP I ever try to grow, I protected it by tying up the leaves and putting 4 fleece bags over it, but still -4.5*c burned a lot of the fronds. I have a Butia in a pot I may put into it's place but I'm thinking another trachycarpus be more sensible given our past winters.

Any ideas on what I should replace it with? Any palm or small exotic looking tree would be fine.
Tom2006

Re: My Phoenix canariensis_CIDP rotted in the centre after -

Post by Tom2006 »

I would go for an English grown Waggie.
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
Arlon Tishmarsh

Post by Arlon Tishmarsh »

greendragon wrote: Any ideas on what I should replace it with?
If its another feather palm you fancy, the Palm Center do some nice Jubs for £59.99. I bought one a while back and it was bigger than the stated size and came in at 1m with a nice little trunk. All the plants i've ever had from them have always been bigger than the stated size.

Or there's these ..........

http://www.palmeperpaket.de/cgi-local/l ... _index.htm
MikeC

Post by MikeC »

Sorry to hear that. It might still recover if you try the Hydrogen Peroxide treatment.

I think the Phoenix canariensis_CIDP prefers overhead canopy protection (from cold and rain/snow) in winter rather than wrapping.
bordersboy

Post by bordersboy »

I1d just buy another one in the end of season sale pot it into a larger pot with free draining mix and put in in the shed/garage over the worst of winter bringing it out in sunny days.
Having said that mine got damaged one year and has recovered but slowly.
If you fancy a change a Trachycarpus will work. Small ones brought in,large ones wrapped in straw/fleece and survived -22c just
multim

Post by multim »

Small P.C's won't take much cold at all whilst larger one's will take some frost. I don't grow them because of this and also, unless in a coastal position they rarely seem to make a trunk. Instead, they will form a huge crown of leaves which would fill a normal sized garden. If you're ever down in Cornwall, go and see those at Trevena Cross entrance and the one at Hardy Exotics. The latter is quite easily 40 ft diameter spread.
Rick1965

Post by Rick1965 »

I would go for a Jubaea
Half Hardy

Post by Half Hardy »

There are quite a few nice specimens,in my area.It is a bit strange that they do so well,because plenty came through the last few cold winters(I know it is bit milder down here,but we have had plenty of frosty,snowy days)without any obvious protection.It is also well known that this area is wetter than most of the uk,which you would think,would make it harder to overwinter.I planted a fairly young specimen,before the really cold winter 2010.I thought it had died,but it is still, slowly coming back,to life.This recent hot spell has done it the world of good.I'll try and post a couple of pics.

I agree with whats been suggested already (jubaea),also butia eriospatha,could be a good option(I planted one out earlier this year).You could also try a washingtonia I have read, some chap,from kent,has had good result with one :)

If I knew how to post the google image link,I could show you some of the cidps planted locally(I do feel a bit uncomfortable showing pics of other peoples plants,without their knowledege).
greendragon

Post by greendragon »

I'm going for Arbutus Unedo icon_cheers

Butia and Jubs just seem to grow too slowly for me and I already have 6 Trachycarpus :)
juneil5

Post by juneil5 »

No matter how many garden centres/nurseries tell you that Phoenix Canariensis is hardy you just have to ignore them and walk away. Anything for a sale, this applies to internet sites also, they just wont survive our winters.
I have one but in a pot where i can move it under cover, even then it will sometimes suffer, frost free just is'nt enough!
ianmck

Post by ianmck »

My Phoenix canariensis_CIDP was an end of season b and q purchase and took -5 unprotected a good few times during the winter. Looks quite toasted and the one very healthy stem got munched through at the growth point by a colony of baby slugs :roll: I had given up on it as it hadn't done anything for months during the recent heatwave, but last couple of days its pushing out 3 new stems :DD There is always hope :lol:
billdango

Post by billdango »

It pays to place a hot water bottle near to the growing point on nights when it is forecasted to go below freezing.

This is a common trick used by most people down here in Southampton and in most cases[ but not all] it works well.

I have had to do this quite a lot on the huge Phoenix canariensis_CIDP in St denys and it was well worth the poncing about on the few really cold nights that we have had here.

This Phoenix canariensis_CIDP is now some 15 feet tall and wide and I only had to use the hot water bottle on 4 nights this winter to melt any snow or ice that had collected around the soft growing point.

With any palms this is the most delicate place for ice to build up and any that does will nearly always result in center spear pull when growth commences in the spring.

Anyway it has to be better then forking out for another palm tree?

rgds billdango icon_thumleft
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

Phoenix canariensis_CIDP's are too fussy, unless you have a great microclimate, or spot in the garden it can survive in, forget another one and get a sexy jub! Jubs are gorgeous and compared to Phoenix canariensis_CIDP in the hardy stakes, no comparison.

Never protected me jub, not a mark on it.

In fact its opening more spears than ever with this recent constant heat icon_thumleft
Half Hardy

Post by Half Hardy »

cordyman wrote:Phoenix canariensis_Phoenix canariensis_CIDP's are too fussy, unless you have a great microclimate, or spot in the garden it can survive in, forget another one and get a sexy jub! Jubs are gorgeous and compared to Phoenix canariensis_Phoenix canariensis_CIDP in the hardy stakes, no comparison.

Never protected me jub, not a mark on it.

In fact its opening more spears than ever with this recent constant heat icon_thumleft
Have you got any pictures,to post Cordy?

I have one,not growing in a pot.
samj

Post by samj »

My Pheonix Canariensis has sat in a bin for 4 years, i have had to pull the crown out after every winter (except the most recent one) and it has grown back. I dont know what to do with it as they need so much space if they can get established. My Butia Capitatas seem to be much less fussy, much more stunning and take up less space. If its a feather palm you want, than I would suggest the butia.