best tools for digging bamboo?

miketropic

Re: best tools for digging bamboo?

Post by miketropic »

bamboo shovel ( don't know if you can get them in the UK though )
karl66

Post by karl66 »

Dim wrote:a bottle of roundup

then 3 weeks later an old fashioned garden fork after you have soaked the ground with a hose
Dim, good suggestion but no good if you plan to keep the plant!! :lol: , long handled shovel's &the like are great for digging deep & leverage but trust me they will not slice through established boo root's!, it will just bounce off & do you an injury. karl.
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

a 6ft flattened and sharpened scaff pole will get into it.
personally id call in a nice young self employed gardener and get a quote icon_thumright :wink:
mars ROVER broken down. headgasket faillure
bonkersinbrighton

Post by bonkersinbrighton »

Thanks Mike but I dont think we can get them here (tho if someone knows different do please correct me).

the scaffold pole is a good idea redsquirrel have asked other half to get one from work (apparently putlog/putlock is the name for the ones with a flat end) will see if I can make it into something, as I am the nice young(ish) self employed gardener I cant really do that :oops:

Many thanks for all the suggestions much appriciated icon_salut
Dim

Post by Dim »

karl66 wrote:

then 3 weeks later an old fashioned garden fork after you have soaked the ground with a hose
Dim, good suggestion but no good if you plan to keep the plant!! :lol: , long handled shovel's &the like are great for digging deep & leverage but trust me they will not slice through established boo root's!, it will just bounce off & do you an injury. karl.
:D lately, all of the cleints that I work for that have bamboo (and who did not use root barriers), want the whole lot gone

it's a nightmare .... even roundup does not always work
Wilza

Post by Wilza »

A sharpened Mattock, a spade with a pointed tip, and plenty of elbow grease.
Wilza

Post by Wilza »

Dim wrote:
karl66 wrote:

:D lately, all of the cleints that I work for that have bamboo (and who did not use root barriers), want the whole lot gone

it's a nightmare .... even roundup does not always work

Roundup isn't good enough. use SBK Or Grason ;)