Human urine as fertiliser

allangreenbean

Human urine as fertiliser

Post by allangreenbean »

Does anyone use diluted human urine as a liquid feed?

Apparently it can be diluted to about 1 part in 20 water and used as a liquid feed.

Usually applied directly to ground rather than leaves to avoid burning sensitive plants.

Urine has almost all the right nutrients in almost the right quantities.

Farmers in African countries have used it and have seen claims that it increases yields significantly compared to using nothing.

Seems like a good idea for free?

Also grass is very tolerant to direct urine use whereas other plants such as Phlox die pretty quickly if used neat.

Seems that frequent and diluted use is best as liquid feeds tend to wash away quickly.
Vagetarian

Re: Human urine as fertiliser

Post by Vagetarian »

What about feline urine? My cats reverted to the litter tray over winter and before I realised they'd pee'd in half of my plant pots. Had a lot of over fertilised plants, several died.

As for my own, if anywhere other than the toilet, it goes straight into the compost bin.
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

I pee on plants occasionally (when planning to then water them), but far more often on the compost heap. I probably ought to just rig up a funnel above a watering can ...

If I didn't find the whole process rather off-putting I'd have caravan-type loos and take the "jug" out to the garden.

Have considered having double-bowl loos (just so you get the mechanics: boys have to sit to pee) but I have heard that the separate pipework for urine gets so little water-flush that it clags up, so not keen on that either.

Seems a huge wasted resource though ... family of 4, plus another 4 co-workers here during the day, could probably completely take care of the Nitrogen needs of my garden!
allangreenbean

Post by allangreenbean »

It does seem like a missed opportunity Kristen although I guess the squeamishness of the idea puts most people off.

In parts of Africa they actually buy and sell wee.

Urine on the compost heap acts as an activator and is also good at breaking down cardboard.

You can also store urine for a short period if you plan to use it neat on compost but should be fresh for feeding plants.

Vagetarian, I guess the cats are only trying to help :roll:
Rick1965

Post by Rick1965 »

Interesting, I wonder if Kris could use this on his current fertiliser trials :D
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

I'm going to look for a funnel arrangement ... or maybe I can just get a urinal and put it in the garden shed with a pipe outside to the watering can. Quick slosh in lieu of a flush perhaps.

Here's one I considered earlier: :lol:

dino

Post by dino »

I know the Victorians used it on straw for the heat to help things like pineapples.
Panama Pete

Post by Panama Pete »

Did anyone see gardeners world on Friday, he made some kind of home brew with nettles as a liquid feed. Just as an alternative to weeing in the garden...... :lol:
Dim

Post by Dim »

Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Rick1965 wrote:Interesting, I wonder if Kris could use this on his current fertiliser trials :D

Right better get the camcorder out! :lol:
bordersboy

Post by bordersboy »

Often thought aboiut adding some to the compost bin. It might drive out the mice/rats or whatever is living in there too. Noticed that the grass at my flat has lush patches where the male dogs have peed on it so urine must be a winner as long as its not bitch pish.
samj

Post by samj »

Surely feeding would take a bit of organisation if the urine needs to be fresh.

I do the nettle stuff in a big black bin and bottle it up, only need to do a few batches each year..
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

Peed on my bamboo last autumn, it's almost dead now.

:roll:
mumfie

Post by mumfie »

I've trained both of my kids to pee in a small watering can then tip on compost whilst in the garden. definitely speeds up the rotting process. i don't think i would dilute and water coz of the smell and i don't wear gloves when weeding etc
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

samj wrote:Surely feeding would take a bit of organisation if the urine needs to be fresh.
I was figuring pee into can during the day (can would already contain enough water to dilute) and then apply that to plants in the evening. Best not to store it, as you say, because although sterile when produced things will be keen to grow in it if kept.
GoggleboxUK wrote:Peed on my bamboo last autumn, it's almost dead now
"Neat" is too strong. But chucking a bucket of water on afterwards should be OK.

I'm also thinking Urinal in potting shed connected to container outside, and a small hand basin of some sort so that hand washing then "flushes" the urinal. There are combo units available (I remember in Japan that they had loos where the lid of the cistern was a small basin and when you flushed the cistern filled through the tap into the basin - so you had the length of the cistern refill time to wash your hands - in freezing cold water! but with a urinal I imagine the basin can easily be above it, and thus the waste flow downwards and out via the urinal.