7ab.jpg
6ab.jpg
5ab.jpg
4ab.jpg
1ab.jpg
Deedee

Re: August 2013 photos

Post by Deedee »

Lovely summer pics Jezza, lots of palms, gardens looking great, i see you have a pergola, do you have a pic of it? can't see it properly in your pics. I like to see what others are growing up and over them.
jezza

Post by jezza »

Not a pergola but a lean-to with a proper roof on it. I built it in july 2012 so it hasn't been there long. It has reed screening on the roof to hide the felt roofing and deck boards around the outside to hide joints.

I use a passion flower to climb up it but it was only planted in may this year so a long way to go before it covers the whole structure.
HPIM7823.JPG
HPIM7824.JPG

I built it with two uses in mind. Seating area in the summer then it doubles up as a winter plant storage shed. It gets boarded up with ply sheets on two sides, then greenhouse twin wall on the third side to give light.
call

Post by call »

cool garden jezza icon_thumleft
Deedee

Post by Deedee »

Jezza thats brilliant, love the black paintwork. Also the 2 uses, I was thinking of putting some of that plastic stuff! on the roof for winter protection of some plants, ill ask the hub what he thinks :mrgreen:
Im also thinking about a passion flower for next year, i had one on a previous trellis and i loved it, the fruit was cool as well.
Thanks for going to the trouble of putting the pics up, appreciated..
eddie

Post by eddie »

Looking great, spacious, brilliant idea wit the pergola, are you planning to heat it during winter? Maybe the warmth of the wall will keep it above freezing

Quite a lot of pots to move when the nasty season starts

icon_thumleft
Washingtonia Trachycarpus Cordyline? Bamboos Olive tree? Bananas
Blairs

Post by Blairs »

Great garden! Where did you get the ShiShi/Foo from?
jezza

Post by jezza »

eddie wrote:Looking great, spacious, brilliant idea wit the pergola, are you planning to heat it during winter? Maybe the warmth of the wall will keep it above freezing

Quite a lot of pots to move when the nasty season starts

icon_thumleft
Electric oil filled radiator in there for the coldest nights. The greenhouse keeps the tender stuff like nanas etc and the pergola houses the more hardier stuff like Phoenix canariensis_CIDP, brahea, butia etc that are in large pots and bloody heavy to shift into the greenhouse, even on a sack barrow.
Blairs wrote:Where did you get the ShiShi/Foo from?
Bought from St Oysth market (near clacton on sea) 3 years ago. I was there last month and the stall selling them is no longer there.
jezza

Post by jezza »

Bit of a difference now. I'm going to be busy over the next few weeks so i've put my garden into winter mode already. Potted stuff has been put away and tables and chairs stacked up. Nanas back in pots and into the greenhouse. Got a couple of things to do but that won't take more than half an hour to do. Obviously it's still mild so heating will stay off for a while yet. Then it's concentrating on clearing the rubbish heap. Already made a start on that and now have a good bonfire for november 5th 8)

Before....
aug.jpg
& now....
now.JPG
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

I'm going to winterise my garden tomorrow I think.
kata

Post by kata »

Lovely Images Jez, I thought you had done a photo shoot at B&Q,

:lol: :lol:

You could make that flat roof into a roof garden..could you? icon_scratch
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

Its a really good idea to grow all the tender plants in pots then you can move them as and when is required.
jezza

Post by jezza »

fern Rob wrote:Its a really good idea to grow all the tender plants in pots then you can move them as and when is required.
Only downside is the need for space and i have to repot up to 20 plants into bigger pots every two or three years. Once the pots are in and the lean-to is boarded up i have nothing else to do. Everything can be done in one day.

B&Q kata? :ahhh!: On a serious note i don't bother with diy stores now. With crews hill only 30 minutes away i have no need to.

Roof garden....too much like hard work :lol: :lol:

The garden itself is a traditional garden now with the normal rhododendrons, hydrangeas, buddlias etc etc. The patio is where the nice stuff sits.