Pruning a T-Rex

Dim

Pruning a T-Rex

Post by Dim »

second time this has happened .... the T-Rex has massive leaves, and some bottom leaves end up touching the lawn .... so, I remove 3-4 of the bottom leaves, then a week later most of the upper leaves take stress, and get brown bloches all over them, and start drying out (it looks like they are drying)

is this normal (i.e. do T-Rex's dislike having leaves pruned?)

I never took a photo to show the brown patches on the remaining leaves
tropical Tom

Re: Pruning a T-Rex

Post by tropical Tom »

I've never had to prune mine but i have 'gently persuaded' the lower leaves to fall off at the point where they join the main trunk, (the point where they fall off naturally) I've never had a problem with the upper leaves when doing this. :D
huporhaha

Post by huporhaha »

I have never had this problem either - it may be because I live so far north and despite protecting growth points every years, they seem to die off above ground and most of mine are just pupping now with tine leaves about 4 - 6" away from main stem.........greenhouse ones okay though...........
Dim

Post by Dim »

this one has been in the ground from late spring last year .....

the leaves grow massive and the bottom leaves end up sagging to the lawn .... last year this time, I removed a few of the lower leaves and many of the remaining leaves ended up going brown and dying .... looks like the same is happening this year

I only removed 4 leaves (the lowest 4) .... when I cut them, I did not cut close to the main central growing stem (I left approx an inch)

straight after pruning, I watered well ..... so, based on that, either I am doing something wrong, or the T-Rex's do not like having their leaves removed/pruned
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

I regularly pull the tatty lower leaves off with gentle pressure, and normally pull out the smaller flower type leaves which are forming at the moment. Doesnt appear to have caused any ill effects.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Always cutting leaves off with no problem. Not sure what is happening with yours Dim
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright
eddie

Post by eddie »

By accident I've snapped one of the peioles of a big leaf, so I've cut it off. No reaction on my one, nothing has turned brown. Seems to me that in nature a petiole can snap easily when animals run around, so the plant has to cope with the loss of a leave now and then I believe.
Washingtonia Trachycarpus Cordyline? Bamboos Olive tree? Bananas
kracker

Post by kracker »

Did not need to prune mine i left it like have other plants a few weeks ago standing in a bucket of water then after the damage ( all the leaves fell off ) remembering i did read on hear they don't like standing water
carolpz

Post by carolpz »

Mine doesn't ever need pruning as it's an 8ft tree but the pups are a nightmare down here. I've given up giving them away because they'll eventually take over the world! :shock:
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

carolpz wrote:Mine doesn't ever need pruning as it's an 8ft tree but the pups are a nightmare down here. I've given up giving them away because they'll eventually take over the world! :shock:
#
You got any pics Carol? I hear a lot about the Carolpz type :D
Delboy

Post by Delboy »

I've tried all ways to get mine to pup lol, 2 years and not one pup, tried breaking roots......nothing.
It's potted so maybe that's why? Promised a few relatives pups, their still waiting :lol:

I only ever remove leaves if they look ropey and just peel them away from the stem. Never had a problem.
Conifers

Post by Conifers »

Dim wrote: so, I remove 3-4 of the bottom leaves,
How did you remove them?

Maybe cutters with non-sterile blades carrying fungal disease spores?
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

kracker wrote:Did not need to prune mine i left it like have other plants a few weeks ago standing in a bucket of water then after the damage ( all the leaves fell off ) remembering i did read on hear they don't like standing water
They detest being in water, and the leaves collapse within hours. Definitely not a plant for poorly drained, or boggy soil.
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Dim »

Conifers wrote:
Dim wrote: so, I remove 3-4 of the bottom leaves,
How did you remove them?

Maybe cutters with non-sterile blades carrying fungal disease spores?
I used my clients kitchen scissors as I could not find my pruning shears .... the scissors looked clean .... I am working there tommorow and will take some pics .... the previous year, I used my pruning shears but did not sterilize it before using
carolpz

Post by carolpz »

cordyman wrote:
carolpz wrote:Mine doesn't ever need pruning as it's an 8ft tree but the pups are a nightmare down here. I've given up giving them away because they'll eventually take over the world! :shock:
#
You got any pics Carol? I hear a lot about the Carolpz type :D
Well thank you kind sir, I have a new camera which I'm still struggling a bit to use so any day now ok? :D