Your garden plot VS the neighbours

cordyman

Your garden plot VS the neighbours

Post by cordyman »

Another post with a huge plot spanning several houses, got me wondering, do you have the pick of the plots? Or are you envious of next door but two's supersize garden? Have your neighbours fallen lucky at the hands of the developers, or even gone as extreme as landgrabbing themselves a more space?

On my side of the street, the adjacent 5-6 houses share my elevation from the pavement, with sloped drives, then steep steps to access the garden. Majority of plot in the back and commanding quite a high position means no one to overlook, and the neighbouring properties are all single story at the back so no shadows, its a great suntrap. The front garden is small as a result, and the drive so steep its hard to use without some major handbrake action :lol:

As you near the end of the road the plots are still of equal space but with more emphasis on bigger front gardens, with miniscule back gardens which get even steeper.

Opposite me everyone just has huge front gardens, and long driveways, with no space around the back. So I'd say i'm pretty happy with the plot, but do miss having a flat driveway.
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Re: Your garden plot VS the neighbours

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

On my side of the street the gardens get bigger and bigger with mine one of the smallest. I can't complain though. On the opposite side of the street the gardens are tiny.
Delboy

Post by Delboy »

My garden is only 50' long and 25' wide, next door is the same length but about 8' wider.

My grandparents live over the road and up a bit, their garden is about 100' long and 25' wide, backing onto open fields in a elovated position with a very slight slope, drainage is excellent and the garden is not really overlooked......so yes i feel hard done by :lol:

Most of my immediate neighbours have similar sized or smaller gardens but over the road they are much bigger.
Houses behind ours are lower down, their gardens are only about 30-40' long but about the same width, they are also very steep sloping towards the houses.
miketropic

Post by miketropic »

well I will say I had one of the best back lots in the place but I may possibly be selling this place tomm. and The places I have been looking at have no suited me with the size of the garden space. Space is not hard to come by here most yards are very large but they come at a price.
Dim

Post by Dim »

my garden is the largest but it's in the worst condition of the whole village .... it's huge, and when I moved in recently, the weeds and brambles were so tall, that you could not even see out the kitchen window ....

the back garden consists of ivy .... I have been glyphosating and at the end of the month, I will rotivate and level, then seed a lawn .... it will take a long time to sort it proper .... hopefully with a bit of rain, the lawn will look good by mid November

we have just finished decorating the interior of the house ..... there were up to 3 layers of wallpaper with rude graffiti written all over them ....

loads of work (and money to spend)....
jezza

Post by jezza »

Being on the corner of a sharp bend in the road my house sits at a different angle to my neighbours. Their back windows don't overlook our patio but their front windows are positioned where they can easily stare into our front rooms from theirs. On the plus side i get more patio space as the garden goes in the same direction as my neighbours but also wraps around the house. This gives me a patio that at one point is 35 feet wide.
greendragon

Post by greendragon »

my garden is 25ft long and 15ft wide plus it has a small paved patio area next to the extension. Not bad for a terraced house really and I have managed to fit 8 trachycarpus and 3 chamaerops into it, plus loads of ferns.
flounder

Post by flounder »

I'm on a corner so my whole plot is triangular. I built a triangular greenhouse (yes, seriously) to fit in with the apex at the back.
The plot is over 140ft long with a 63ft frontage, so my front garden is bigger than the back but I have off road parking for two cars, plus I've extended the property. I'm not allowed to build a garage as it would be 6ft forward of the building line!
Up the road, the gardens tend to be rectangular. Usual stuff, off road parking, garage :roll: , larger at the back
Blairs

Post by Blairs »

I would say that I have the second best plot in the estate as my back garden is exactly south facing and is 20m by 25m (65.6ft by 82ft) and only one house overlooks (and I planted a small woodland to hide them!). Front garden is about 12m by 25m (39ft by 82ft) but 1/2 of that my is drive way and is north facing to a degree. Plot wise I have a shared drive (about 60m long shared with 2 houses but we all have private drives that can take at least 4 cars each, so not an issue) and that drive way is off a cul-de-sac. That is good as my kids can play with their bikes/scooters with no traffic on a safe surface.

Facing the house is the back of 3 houses but in front of that is a communal woodland and grass area, so is very quiet and private. I actually got a discount on purchase as people had been put off by the south facing slope!

Next door has a plot 1/3 bigger and no one overlooks them and their drive can easily take 6 cars (and they have a detached double garage - mine is integrated single) so he wins plot wise - I would rather take the frost free garage though.
Adam D

Post by Adam D »

Blairs wrote:I would say that I have the second best plot in the estate as my back garden is exactly south facing and is 20m by 25m (65.6ft by 82ft) and only one house overlooks (and I planted a small woodland to hide them!). Front garden is about 12m by 25m (39ft by 82ft) but 1/2 of that my is drive way and is north facing to a degree. Plot wise I have a shared drive (about 60m long shared with 2 houses but we all have private drives that can take at least 4 cars each, so not an issue) and that drive way is off a cul-de-sac. That is good as my kids can play with their bikes/scooters with no traffic on a safe surface.

Facing the house is the back of 3 houses but in front of that is a communal woodland and grass area, so is very quiet and private. I actually got a discount on purchase as people had been put off by the south facing slope!

Next door has a plot 1/3 bigger and no one overlooks them and their drive can easily take 6 cars (and they have a detached double garage - mine is integrated single) so he wins plot wise - I would rather take the frost free garage though.
That's a great size garden for a new-build! Well done you!

How can people be put off by a south facing slope icon_scratch
bordersboy

Post by bordersboy »

I sit on 0.4 acre and the neighbours are the same ish upto 0.75 acre mostly lawned. The good thing is they are bungalows so dont over look each other.Theres masses of wildlife as there are mature 80ft trees,veggie patches,plenty of hedges and a pond or two.Love it,just apity the winters are so long and severe some years :shock:
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

I'm an end plot with the hammerhead of the cul-de-sac out of the front garden, but have the widest plot in the road. Back garden SSW facing and at it's longest (into the Lunar Module) 75ft, and 60ft from lounge extension. The plot widens from back to front averaging 50ft wide but 45ft in the back and 55ft front. Unfortunately has about a 2 degree north slope which is now terraced, so very long winter shadows.
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by fieldfest »

luckily as im on the end of a row I have one of the biggest gardens, unfortulatenly the front and back are only 10m x 10m each. its bonkers why the front garden is so big in comparison
1239180_419047544867252_1225143555_o.jpg
Alexander

Post by Alexander »

fieldfest wrote:luckily as im on the end of a row I have one of the biggest gardens, unfortulatenly the front and back are only 10m x 10m each. its bonkers why the front garden is so big in comparison
1239180_419047544867252_1225143555_o.jpg
A nice exotic contrast with those other boring gardens!

Alexander
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

It's not a contest.

Luckily for my neighbours whose gardens are crappe.

;)