The big dig out soon

Panama Pete

The big dig out soon

Post by Panama Pete »

Can anyone really face the over wintering and dig out that is looming. :?: Although a great summer it seems to of gone really fast, or did we only get a summer from late June. :ahhh!:

The thought of straw, chicken wire and fleece is really making me cringe....I do think it will be a perfect winter though..... by that I mean cold again but who really knows. :ahhh!:

What I have learned though, is keep the plants out as long as possible, and don't be afraid to water them in winter. I've lost as many plants via drought as I have through the cold, thinking its better to not water.

Its going to be a tricky time again this winter as every year there is more plants but we may be lucky and have warm mild weather for a few months yet fingers crossed.
sanatic1234

Re: The big dig out soon

Post by sanatic1234 »

I really hope we do pete. And i was at my local garden centre earlier today pricing up how much compost and grit i will need for the potting up for winter. About £40 on compost and £10 on grit should do the job.
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

This year I will need another 60m of Horticultural fleece to go with the 120m I already use. I could do with no minus numbers through winter.
flounder

Post by flounder »

August 15th?
Whats the matter with you people? icon_scratch
I've just come off my teams football forum because some on there were making me miserable and the first thread I open on here is about getting ready for winter!!!!
I'm expecting at least another 8 weeks of enjoying the garden, I'll start talking fleece and straw then and not a moment sooner :evil:
I'm off to look at pictures of sunshine and pina coladas now with my cup which is half full
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

Don't forget it wasn't until 2009 that we had a return to winters proper. I remember winter after winter where we struggled to get an air frost. I didn't even have to worry about protecting plants.

That said, my polyhouse will be back out with my heater just in case. I've going to lift a few basjoos but everything else will be staying in the ground, then all I will have are my potted tree ferns to get through.

With all that said, I do understand your worry, because every now and then I remember how horrific last winter was in terms of its length of time. October to May up here, which is/was crazy! I would sooner have the deep lows for a short time like in 2010 rather than such a long cold grey winter.
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

Flounder i do my winter pricing in the summer every year its called planning a head, and you get most products cheaper than what you would do in the winter. As not a lot of people are out buying the winter stuff and shops have not put up there prices. :wink:
DAVIDEVANS

Post by DAVIDEVANS »

Seems sensible to me to be making plans. I am planning on protecting my tall cordylines this year. Someone mentioned soil warming cable - anyone tried it?
pdid

Post by pdid »

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

No

No no no no no

No

icon_thumbdown icon_thumbdown icon_thumbdown :ahhh!: :ahhh!: :ahhh!:
otorongo

Post by otorongo »

We don't get frosts until late November at the earliest, so it's not my worry just yet :)
flounder wrote:I'm off to look at pictures of sunshine
Because pictures is the closest to the real thing we can get? ;)
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

October seems to mark the start of winter for me the temperatures drop and the garden looks empty.
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

It's the summer holidays not yet autumn anywhere, even Scotland. icon_sunny

I do agree though that stocking up is a good idea when prices are cheap.
karl66

Post by karl66 »

I have not got the time to grow two much stuff that need's overwintering & digging up :lol: , a shelter here & there & a bit of on off covering is all I do!, hence me being able to walk around my garden all year round. karl.
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

It should be a long time before you have to think about doing this....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5N3N1Oza8Hw
jezza

Post by jezza »

Two basjoos to dig up, put a parasol over a cordyline and move potted stuff in the greenhouse or under the lean to. That's it and takes all of half an hour. That's not until the end of october/early november so until then i will stick the sprinkler on and sit back with a budweiser and big fat juicy burger!
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

I'm thinking of using roof insulation on the poly tunnel, and a parafin heater hopefully that will be alright for the tree ferns. Also fleece around the Cyatheas crowns.