Sakhalin Basjoo and normal Basjoo flower

Melissa

Re: Sakhalin Basjoo and normal Basjoo flower

Post by Melissa »

I have a Sakhalin, but I'm not sure if it's the one thats flowering at the moment, I'll check tomorrow.

Melissa
musa_monkey

Post by musa_monkey »

i have one to, I got it on the Island a couple of years back when i had to do a job at the Shell plant there. I am not yet convinced that this variant is any more hardy than the regular Basjoo, in fact the opposite may be true but i have yet to test them side by side over winter.
Palmer

Post by Palmer »

Darran, I agree there is plenty of variation there, but that puzzles me I’ll explain why
If you take Cavendishi for example there is no genetic diversity in that plant, there all from the same clone genetically identical, it doesn’t produce seeds and can only be propagated vegetivly that’s by division of the pups or TC.
Basjoo has been in Europe for at least the past 100 years but because seed is very rare by far the most common way of propagating it is vegetivly that would suggest the vast majority are from the same clone, and genetically identical so why would the flowers vary so much?, it would be useful if the basjoo pics could be saved in the gallery for future reference and so people could ad to them.

musa-monkey,
When you visited Sakhalin did you see basjoo growing in the wild? The reason I ask is because I so a wild life program about Sakhalin and it is much colder then the UK, so cold that the sea freezes’s around it. I remember thinking that’s no place for a banana to survive without some serious protection.
simon

Post by simon »

I think t is probably safe to say that there will be no bananas growing wild on Sakhalin. Although it was introduced to Europe from there, the plant originated from China.
musa_monkey

Post by musa_monkey »

Unfortunately not where i was, i only got to see the surrounding areas of a large petrochem plant. It does get seriously hot there in the summer though so i wouldn't be to surprised if they existed there somewhere in a sheltered position.