Butia eriospatha recovers after 2 year sulk

Dave Brown
Site Admin

Butia eriospatha recovers after 2 year sulk

Post by Dave Brown »

Before Nigel went to Brazil, I bought a strap leaf seedling off him, and it grew away. I planted it out in 2009 and it sailed through the winter even though it was only about 18 inches tall.Then came along December 2010 and completely clobbered it, :roll: Poor thing was a bit small so didn't stand a chance.

In May 2011 it crown pulled with the spear and 2 leaves coming away, but I decided to leave it as it was. Nothing happened in 2011 or the whole of 2012, and I was starting to think of digging it out. When I went to tackle it in May 2013 it had started to push out a new spear. I was gobsmacked as we'd just had the worst March in 51 years and April was also below average. Anyway the warm weather from end of June onward has speeded it up, and it has grown 2 stunted leaves, but the current one seems to be back to normal size. Although by no means out of the woods yet, I thought I'd post about it. :wink:
Attachments
2013-08-11 18-28-44 Butia eriospatha.jpg
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Re: Butia eriospatha recovers after 2 year sulk

Post by Nigel »

Dave, my friend has or had a dead stump from 2010 , dead as a dodo you would think, but last year it showed a tiny spear in late summer, now it is pushing out a full size leaf. I don't know any other Butia that has come back like this, but eriosptha seems to have an astonishing regeneration ability from nothing.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Nigel, although I was hearing how this grows well in cooler conditions, it was rather untested in our winters. I think 2010 was it's coming of age, as I had -10C and 2 weeks where the temp bearly got above freezing, including 6 ice days. Such a small palm coming back from that is quite a feat. If it is not an isolated incident then things are looking good :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Lets hope it's not tested again.
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

very nice!

are you going to protect this winter if we get supercold, or let it test out its hardiness again?
kevineden

Post by kevineden »

nice result dave icon_cheers
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

Amazing considering the size, hopefully it will continue to rocket for another few months before the cold slows it down again.
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

Shows we should not dig plants up to soon.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

fern Rob wrote:Shows we should not dig plants up to soon.
Absolutely icon_thumright
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright
JoelR

Post by JoelR »

Good news for Butia eriospatha. Very happy with the growth I've had from my plant. Only 4 years from seed and already forming trunks (it was twins from 1 seed). faster even than any Phoenix I've grown from seed. Not tested it outdoors yet though and I don't consider it totally hardy here in the pennines but I will keep in a pot as long as possible and protect in situ after that :)
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

I have a Dicksonia antarctica that didn't have any croziers for nearly two years I dumped it in the bottom of the garden ready to be binned, not long after it started fronding.
miketropic

Post by miketropic »

one of my palm guys sent me an updated price list a few days ago and these happened to be on it..with results like this I might just try one Dave.
Rick1965

Post by Rick1965 »

These palms seem to be tough little things once they become adjusted to our climate. Darren (Red Squirrel) sent me some seedlings which I believe he had left outside during the winter, I accidently did the same this winter gone and they are still alive.

Mike what sort of lows do you get in Kentucky?
miketropic

Post by miketropic »

Rick1965 wrote:These palms seem to be tough little things once they become adjusted to our climate. Darren (Red Squirrel) sent me some seedlings which I believe he had left outside during the winter, I accidently did the same this winter gone and they are still alive.

Mike what sort of lows do you get in Kentucky?

The lows are not very kind here. the last 2 winters I have had a low of -13.3c for a few hours each morning. I would say almost every day gets above 0C and a normal night hovers around -8c. It does get cold but the summer heat and growth is the trade off.
Alexander

Post by Alexander »

Butia eriospatha I have here also grown from seeds I did collect in Brasil. But winter here are to cold, well I do not want to loose them...

Alexander