Deadheading Dahlias

Dave Brown
Site Admin

Deadheading Dahlias

Post by Dave Brown »

Dahlias flower from late June until frosts kill the top of the plants, so are a very good flower to bring colour to the garden. The range of colour, flower type and foliage colour all add to the diversity.

As with all flowering plants, they don't do it for your benefit, it is to attract pollinators, and job done sets about forming seed. All this seed production takes a heavy toll on the plant's energy, and once sufficient seed heads are forming, it will dispense with further flowers.

Although not in the plant's big scheme of things, we want continuous flowering, and normally aren't too bothered about seed, so to achieve this you have to remove spent flowers before they start the seed forming process. This is called dead heading. On many plants types the dead heads are obvious, but in Dahlia it is a bit more subtle, so I have taken a couple of pics to show the major differences.

Firstly you don't want to remove the flower buds by mistake so look out for the spherical shaped ones as these are unopened flowers. Don't pull these off
2013-09-01 11-03-10 Dahlia flower bud.jpg
Then there are the spent flowers that you need to remove to keep the plant flowering over the whole season. The are longer and more cylindrical or conical. Pull or cut these off :wink:
2013-09-01 11-03-18 Dahlia Dead Head.jpg
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Re: Deadheading Dahlias

Post by fern Rob »

A informative post, I have never grown Dahlias in the garden but next year I plan to just for the diversity and look of the plant. Where do Dahlias originate from?
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

They are from Mexico and South America, Rob.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dahlia
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Jay71 »

I have ordered afew of these. Ready for next year. Quite afew different types to choose from. Nice coulerful plant.
Rick1965

Post by Rick1965 »

Do you leave yours in the ground Dave?
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

I think the large flowered ones look good in an exotic border. I grew Emory Paul last year:

kata

Post by kata »

Thanks Dave,

I have been deadheading as soon as the flower has gone, just because I don't want seed. I will buy the Landaff again, more than one, I love them.

icon_cheers icon_cheers

Now Dave; the best way to store once dry?

icon_study
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

I'd love to see a post about this for Canna's and Ricinus too, as I now want the seed for next year, so need to know when to pick off before they explode and send randomly across the garden :lol:
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

mine are normally flowering when they start going in the garden late april,
do you mean ones left outside all the time start flowering in june?
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Mr List wrote:mine are normally flowering when they start going in the garden late april,
do you mean ones left outside all the time start flowering in june?
Yes, I was talking about those left out. I suppose if you wanted, you could keep them flowering all year if given the right conditions inside. :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Kristen »

cordyman wrote:need to know when to pick off before they explode and send randomly across the garden
I find that the seed heads crack open a bit, revealing a glimpse of the black seeds inside, before they open enough to release them ... that's the time that I pick them.