Hessian Sacking - Dicksonia protection

sanatic1234

Re: Hessian Sacking - Dicksonia protection

Post by sanatic1234 »

kata wrote:I have absolutely nowhere to keep tropical plants, nowhere.

Last week I planted the Basjoo, its doing ok so I hope the next month is kind as it beds in. The Enste will get protected in a corner by the backdoor on a shelf and get a size up pot next season. The Fern stays planted, too heavy anyway to keep shifting it in and out of soil.

What does'nt make it, does'nt make it.

icon_cheers icon_cheers
You dont have to keep shifting a fern in and out of the soil, I think people are getting the wrong end of the stick of me lifting mine, it has only been lifted once in 3 years of me having them and that was last year, i don't do it every year. :roll: I just did what i felt was right at the time, but some advice i wouldn't risk your ensete outside kata even with protection, winters are just too cold for them unless you are just treating as summer bedding.
kata

Post by kata »

It could end up summer bedding San, the stem did really well, very thick but the plant though big leaves and lovely color has'nt grown very tall.
sept2013.jpg
That shelf I was thinking of gets some wind coming through but quite dry. I bought a new thicker fleece the other week with a zipper.

If I also add a duvet surely that will be warm with fleece as well round the plant along with the thicker jacket.

What I have also is three water droppers glass, what about keeping those going in the pot?

:mrgreen:
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

could be down the pot why it hasn't piled on bigger height and leave size? or not enough feed? its a catch 22 really kata as if it is sweating under all that protection with no air flow then it will rot but not enough protection and it freezes and dies.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

If you even think about watering Ensete over winter it will rot and die,they really don't do cold, wet compost.
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by griphuz »

My goodness, people are talking about the amount of HOURS the frosts last,....we've had more than 2 weeks of solid -20C, that's what I call a horror winter,...
I wonder if with decent protection I could leave a Dicksonia out planted in the ground. Maybe if I plant is closer to the house,..

Kind regards,
Remko.
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

griphuz wrote: I wonder if with decent protection I could leave a Dicksonia out planted in the ground. Maybe if I plant is closer to the house,..
... maybe if you wrapped a heated-cable around its trunk? (and then some insulation to keep the heat in)
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Kristen wrote:
griphuz wrote: I wonder if with decent protection I could leave a Dicksonia out planted in the ground. Maybe if I plant is closer to the house,..
... maybe if you wrapped a heated-cable around its trunk? (and then some insulation to keep the heat in)
Yes I think that would work, they don't mind being wrapped up, and the introduction of some warmth would stop it freezing, but you would have to be very careful not to overheat it, or it will try to grow, and any rots would become active.
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by kata »

Thanks Dave and San!

:)