Hessian Sacking - Dicksonia protection

kata

Hessian Sacking - Dicksonia protection

Post by kata »

Soz, I know it sounds a winter topic but I am buying for winter..now.

Greenthumb came to do the Autumn weed n feed and spotted the Fern and said he liked it. He then said to buy sacking and a breathable bag.

Maybe something like this Hessian, even color for over winter.... :mrgreen: :lol:

http://tinyurl.com/kw5mabk
fern Rob

Re: Hessian Sacking

Post by fern Rob »

I wouldn't advise it, stick to fleece. :D
kata

Post by kata »

Tell me why Rob!

Thanks!

icon_cheers
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

Go with the 'Mumfie style' protection K, tried and tested method that suits our Northerly conditions well.

;)
kata

Post by kata »

I have to find it then G,

Thanks! :mrgreen:
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

It holds water in my opinion and may rot.
kata

Post by kata »

Oh, ok Rob, I'll still do my original plan then.

Circle of wire like Cordy said, rolls of wound round fleece like you said, and finally the leaves over the crown stuffed with fleece, like I sad.

We omit the water I guess.

drunken_smilie1
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

I wouldn't water it in winter if its outside, I would put loads of fleece around the trunk and crown. I think I will put fleece over one of the Dicksonia antarctica tomorrow and take pics so you can see how I protect them in winter. I will take It off after to early yet for the plants or it may flush in winter :lol: .
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

Water holds thermal energy better than air so watering and adding a heat source such as a hot water bottle will be better than leaving it dry.

I'm going to attempt to keep the fronds on mine over winter.
kata

Post by kata »

I am just going to bend mine over the crown G,

Rob, an Image will be fab, thanks when you got time!

:mrgreen:
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

Tree fern winter fleecing pics.
Hope this helps.
Attachments
My new Dual Trunk Dicksonia antarctica before Fleece.
My new Dual Trunk Dicksonia antarctica before Fleece.
Place as much fleece in the crown as possible, screw it up in to a ball.
Place as much fleece in the crown as possible, screw it up in to a ball.
Then create a seel between the trunk and the fronds and crown to stop moisture eg snow getting in the crown. The best way of doing this is weaving the fleece between the frond base.
Then create a seel between the trunk and the fronds and crown to stop moisture eg snow getting in the crown. The best way of doing this is weaving the fleece between the frond base.
Finally cover the trunk in many layers of fleece, better to add air pockets in the fleece as it helps to insulate the plant. I attchive this by rolling the fleece up as I wind it around the plant.
Finally cover the trunk in many layers of fleece, better to add air pockets in the fleece as it helps to insulate the plant. I attchive this by rolling the fleece up as I wind it around the plant.
kata

Post by kata »

That looks quite cozy Rob, And I am understanding the Instructions.

Thank you!

icon_sunny
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

kata wrote:That looks quite cozy Rob, And I am understanding the Instructions.

Thank you!

icon_sunny
Also if its really cold and wet I sometimes put a large pot over the crown but not for to long.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

The problem with wrapping the trunk is you are only slowing down freezing by the volume of fleece used. There is no warmth added, and if the fronds are removed or collapse through freezing, the root area is exposed to radiation frost.

I throw duvets over the whole thing, fronds and all. This creates an igloo and warmth radiating from the ground is trapped keeping the temps slightly warmer. You get to keep the fronds which fuels the plant through the flush.

Here in Jan in one of the 5 snow episodes of last winter and spring. The mound is DelBoy Dicksonia antarctica with a duvet thrown over.
2013-01-21-08-29-28 Delboy DA under the duvet.jpg
Don't have a pic of Delboy after winter, but this is how the Squat Boy Dicksonia antarctica, which was also duvet covered, looked after winter had finished.
2013-05-17-12-31-12 SquatBoy DA .jpg
The old fronds are removed after the new flush has grown. This is how Delboy Dicksonia antarctica looked in August
2013-08-25 18-21-18 DelBoy DA.jpg
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Re: Hessian Sacking - Dicksonia protection

Post by fern Rob »

Fronds don't survive winter in this part of the country in my experience. Fleece worked well for me when we had lows of below -19 and my Dicksonia antarctica survived it.