Echium, I wasn't prepared for this to grow so big...

cordyman

Re: Echium, I wasn't prepared for this to grow so big...

Post by cordyman »

Yorkshire Kris wrote:They can cope with some frost, see here:

Very nice video Kris! its staying planted for definite after watching that :lol:
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

I do try, wink.

Remember minus 5 is about their limit without protection.
Deedee

Post by Deedee »

Mine was in a pot last year Cordy, i just put it against the house wall and it survived winter, it lost some of its lower leave's. i planted it into the pergola border and its thrived, its taller than me but no flower spike, i doubt it will survive this year tho..

After the OK winter :mrgreen: . No updated pics yet, still in camera..

fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

My Echium was killed by late frosts this year :(
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

derrick wrote:They do get wide you can remove some leaves for storage inside house or protect outside. Next year your have a 12 feet
flower spike .
I would have to disagree with removing leaves to protect outside during winter, the leaves would be best kept on to add more protection to the stem and to keep the soil round the base of the plant dry, Just wrap the whole thing in fleece so it looks like a mini dalek or whatever its called off dr who. wrap it at least 3-4 times, with added layers on top so the growth point is well protected.
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

sanatic1234 wrote:
derrick wrote:They do get wide you can remove some leaves for storage inside house or protect outside. Next year your have a 12 feet
flower spike .
I would have to disagree with removing leaves to protect outside during winter, the leaves would be best kept on to add more protection to the stem and to keep the soil round the base of the plant dry, Just wrap the whole thing in fleece so it looks like a mini dalek or whatever its called off dr who. wrap it at least 3-4 times, with added layers on top so the growth point is well protected.
i'm a huge fan of haxnix fleece bags, do you reckon x3 of those over it and then perhaps a plastic bag at the top to keep dry, would work?
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

never used those cordy i just get the cut to size fleece the wrap a round stuff. I used a bin liner over mine when it was snowing and took it off again when it had stopped. worked well. :)
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

sanatic1234 wrote:never used those cordy i just get the cut to size fleece the wrap a round stuff. I used a bin liner over mine when it was snowing and took it off again when it had stopped. worked well. :)
I do have some in fact from wilkos, a 10 metre roll, but never used it, as the fleece bags were just on and off in seconds. I may do the roll option then, really want a flower tower. I've always admired them on Crantock beach in newquay, the whole cliff side is full of them most years drunken_smilie1
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

I have a 6 month old seedling planted outside which is about 2ft now may be a little bigger so will be good to see if i get that through the winter. I put it in the same location as my last one that flowered. Have to start an echium topic up in winter cordy.
Last edited by sanatic1234 on Sat Oct 05, 2013 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
derrick

Post by derrick »

I only removed leaves if inside house no point outside .You can protect them outside with timber frame and cold water tank covers that worked for me. They need to breath a little
parkeey

Post by parkeey »

would placing a large dustbin over the plant protect it, when extreme forst or snow falls, Or maybe a walk in greenhouse be any good,ive got one outside i must overwinter this year, its grown well but next yr will be the tester...
or do u treat them as a basjoo and wrap up with fleece and straw?
GREVILLE

Post by GREVILLE »

I put a large overturned cardboard box over mine when it became too frosty.
derrick

Post by derrick »

My largest is near 6 feet tall have to make my mind up dig or protect
Attachments
DSCF3672.JPG
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

you won't be able to dig it up now, you will just end up killing it, you will be lucky to get all the roots out intact and if you don't it could cost you your plant, leave it where it is and just give it plenty of protection be a shame to risk killing such a healthy plant,my 7 months old that is now well over 2ft high will stay outside just with plenty of protection when needed. If yours is 6ft you will have flower next year. surprised it hasn't gone for it this year really with it being 6ft already???
derrick

Post by derrick »

I think it more 5 feet San I think I will protect this winter I have dug them up years before with no problem But last year I killed one The soil was to dry .They only take minus 5 and they go black some just don't flower or have multi growing point. I lost seven in that cold winter we had years back 2 survived all protected I hope its a mild winter . Did you get much seedlings come up in your garden this year I got more the this year than last ?