Anyone tried growing Luma apiculata? (Chilean myrtle tree)

greendragon

Anyone tried growing Luma apiculata? (Chilean myrtle tree)

Post by greendragon »

I went to Trebah Gardens today and I loved the Chilean myrtle trees, they have smooth cinnamon bark, small leaves and white flowers around this time of the year.

How hardy are they and has anyone tried growing one?

fern Rob

Re: Anyone tried growing Luma apiculata? (Chilean myrtle tre

Post by fern Rob »

Where would you find seed for this species, it looks fantastic. Wouldn't mind cultivating some. They add such a contrast with the leaves and trunk colour together.
call

Post by call »

yup I have one :D
mine is 'glanleam gold' a variagated variety which is slightly less hardy although it is reverting back to green in some branches. L. apiculata is hardy overall but you must keep it from cold drying wind :roll:

anyway mine did get some dieback due to the cold winds, but after a good prune back it produced new young fresh variagated growth.
although the tree looked good as it was I thaught it was a good oppertunity to grow some bromeliads and airplants on it.

so far it has:

fasicularia bicolor
bilbergia nutans
tillandsia aeranthos
tillandsia bergeri
tillandsia usneoides

all growing on it icon_thumright
greendragon

Post by greendragon »

fern Rob wrote:Where would you find seed for this species, it looks fantastic. Wouldn't mind cultivating some. They add such a contrast with the leaves and trunk colour together.
I found out Burncoose nursery sell them, it's worth a try for sure.
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

greendragon wrote:
fern Rob wrote:Where would you find seed for this species, it looks fantastic. Wouldn't mind cultivating some. They add such a contrast with the leaves and trunk colour together.
I found out Burncoose nursery sell them, it's worth a try for sure.
Thanks,
Seed or the growing plant.
greendragon

Post by greendragon »

growing plants
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

I may buy one, they would look good with my Eucalyptus.
Conifers

Post by Conifers »

call wrote:although the tree looked good as it was I thaught it was a good oppertunity to grow some bromeliads and airplants on it.
Not actually the best choice for growing epiphytes - the smooth, flaking bark is designed to shed them off :roll: you'd be better with something with very rough bark that would hold them better icon_thumright

Oh, and "... I thought it was a good opportunity to grow ..." :lol:
Clive60

Post by Clive60 »

Fascicularia is a terrestrial Brom and probably not a good choice for a tree. If I put my Tillandsia Usneoides outside the birds would have it straight away!
call

Post by call »

Conifers wrote:
call wrote:although the tree looked good as it was I thaught it was a good oppertunity to grow some bromeliads and airplants on it.
Not actually the best choice for growing epiphytes - the smooth, flaking bark is designed to shed them off :roll: you'd be better with something with very rough bark that would hold them better icon_thumright

Oh, and "... I thought it was a good opportunity to grow ..." :lol:
1.the epiphytes are really just wedged in the branches with soil and sphagnum moss (so technically speaking they are not really epiphytes)

2. sorry :oops: it was too late at night and with my sister going on about something
Clive60 wrote:Fascicularia is a terrestrial Brom and probably not a good choice for a tree. If I put my Tillandsia Usneoides outside the birds would have it straight away!
3. as said before it is wedged with soil but if it does grow too big or wide or just doesn't look as if it is enjoying itself I can move it to the rockery

4. when birds nest in spring it would be a good idea to cover it up with strawberry netting icon_thumleft
otorongo

Post by otorongo »

Clive60 wrote:Fascicularia is a terrestrial Brom and probably not a good choice for a tree.
Fascicularia bicolor canaliculata (and only the canaliculata) is an epiphyte. I've just received one and I'm going to mount it on a tree icon_thumleft
otorongo

Post by otorongo »

My Fascicularia is mounted on a rose 'tree' with its roots wrapped in sphagnum moss and some chicken manure stuck in it.

I've also ordered some Tillandsias, can't wait to mount them icon_sunny I really liked the look of epiphytes in Brazil, epiphytes and vines are what makes the tropics stand out.
call

Post by call »

I have been looking for hardy tillandsias online and have gathered the following info.

T. aeranthos
T. bergeri
T. usenodies
T. recurvata
T. tenuifolia
T. stricta

All show very good potential for growing in the UK

anyway back on track :lol: