New Garden photo's

Rick1965

New Garden photo's

Post by Rick1965 »

Hi all,
Here are some shots of my small garden. We only moved into the home in June so it is a work in progress. Next week I will be digging out a 8ft tree fern from my old place to give the new garden some height. I am looking for a tropical type climber to cover the back fence, any suggestions?

Regards
Rick
Attachments
Butia Catarinensis kindly let go by Karl
Butia Catarinensis kindly let go by Karl
Butiagrus- Brahea Armata - Yucca Linearis
Butiagrus- Brahea Armata - Yucca Linearis
Garden 2013 008 (Large).jpg
Garden 2013 009 (Large).jpg
Mr List

Re: New Garden photo's

Post by Mr List »

clematis armandii icon_thumleft
kata

Post by kata »

It looks great for the time you have been there..well done!

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Adam D

Post by Adam D »

Your garden looks great and you have a great selection of plants.

What aspect is the fence at the back? How much sun does it receive? It is obviously in sun now, but that can change during the day and the year.

Where did you pick up your little Yucca linearifolia from? I would like a little one to put in a pot, so I can drag it somewhere sheltered during the winter.
Simba

Post by Simba »

Mr List wrote:clematis armandii icon_thumleft
Seconded.
Exotic foliage, hardy in Essex, and is rampant.

Otherwise, a Campsis radicans or a Passiflora variety would give you a great splash of exotic colour.
Delboy

Post by Delboy »

Garden is looking great Rick!
Congrats on the butia, it's a corker and I can't believe Karl let it go.
Another vote for clematis Armandii, nice big leaves, rampant and evergreen.
Nigel Fear

Post by Nigel Fear »

That's a great looking garden already Rick. :D
As for climbers, where is the sun is most of the day?
The big trees in the background could also well have a bearing on that.
Do you want scent, evergreen, colour etc.?

Good luck with the large treefern, be nice to see that in the garden, I hope you've got lots of help.
cheshirepalms
Location: Ellesmere Port, Mersey estuary, Cheshire 53.2N 2.8W

Post by cheshirepalms »

Cracking plant selection, very diverse! icon_thumleft
PaulPlants

Post by PaulPlants »

Great pics! What a fantastic palm you have as your centre piece.

I grow Trachelospermum jasminoides with Campsis grandiflora.

The Trachelospermum is a lovely evergreen which works as a great background for tropical plantings. The Campsis is flamboyant and exotic AND showing off right now when many other tropicals have finished flowering. It can be cut right back each year as it is deciduous, but grown with the Trachelospermum they make a perfect year round pair.
Rick1965

Post by Rick1965 »

Hello all,

Thanks for your comments and suggestions. I will look for a Clematis A. At this time of the year that part of the garden get sun from about 9am-2pm. I was thinking of a Campis but felt it was eventually get shaded out which would inhibit it's flowering. Anyway heres to a warm Autumn and mild Winter icon_thumleft.

Regards

Rick
Rick1965

Post by Rick1965 »

Adam - The Yucca was bought in a small garden centre near by, if I come across any I will give you a shout.

Nige - I am not worried about scent etc just want to cover the ugly fence! I prefer to have scented plants by my back door this is where the sun sets last so it is nice to sit out after work and have a wine with the smell of various Lillies and Jasmines.
PaulPlants

Post by PaulPlants »

Rick, you are absolutely right about the Campsis, it does need the sun to flower. I actually plante the campaign to replace a Clematis A due to clematis wilt.
Nigel Fear

Post by Nigel Fear »

I've found my Campsis to be a little shaded out by a Ceanothus [among other things] this year for a good flower display, I'll rectify that in the spring.
Clematis armandii 'snowdrift' seems to cope well though, and would certainly grow pretty quick,the main flower display is in spring.
Paul, I hear the variety 'apple blossom' is more susceptible to Clematis wilt, is that the type you have?

I've been impressed with rate of growth, plus the very long flowering display of my Solanum crispum 'Glasnevin' this year, that would need something to support it, but it's pretty rampant, and has flowered here since the beginning of June, and is only just slowing down... That's 3 months of flowering!

They all need a lot of pruning to keep in check though.
michelea

Post by michelea »

Hi Rick,

One of my favourite climbers is akebia. I have white chocolate and been so impressed that just brought a variegated one. Another recent climber purchase is tropaeolum speciosum Red Flame ohh and fatshedera.

Michele
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

Great garden.