Village Show

JonK

Village Show

Post by JonK »

Warning, non exotic :lol:

It was the village show at the weekend, nothing serious and just a bit of friendly competition. As well as the normal fruit and veg sections, there's home produce (jams, cakes etc), art work and other bits and pieces. Having grown a few tomatoes and other veg this year, I thought I might aswell enter. I entered in 3 sections which were 5 off cherry tomatoes, 5 off 'other' tomatoes and 5 off different veg on a plate. My onions and shallots I felt weren't up to it so I gave them a miss. Here are a few pics.
DSC_0063_t.jpg
DSC_0062_t.jpg
DSC_0059_t.jpg
DSC_0060_t.jpg
DSC_0061_t.jpg
I wasn't expexting to win anything and it was a nice surprise to see the results. Does anyone else have any nice local village shows or have entered anything?

The mens cake baking section seemed the most competitive so I may have to give that a go another year :lol:
kata

Re: Village Show

Post by kata »

Well, good for you Jon, congrats on your win!!

Although we used to grow veg we never entered shows. My Caulis were pure white tight heads, my sprouts as big as cabbages.

We enjoyed every minute of alottement life, I'm sure you do too Jon. And its great picking the harvest when dew is still on them.
The mens cake baking section seemed the most competitive so I may have to give that a go another year
Ah well Jon, thats because Mary Berry has made a comeback and now also we have bake off too.

icon_cheers icon_cheers
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Well done Jon icon_thumright Looks like there were a lot of entries too.

There is a gardening club in Chalk, but not sure my style of gardening would fit in.
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by flounder »

Congrats on the rosettes icon_thumleft
There's a local 'show' near me but unless you're a member of the WI or doing secret handshakes with the allotment crowd, you are ostracised and frowned upon for entering their little world! Anyway, I don't like cottage gardening or growing veg so they can do one icon_rambo
JonK

Post by JonK »

Thanks, its always nice to win something whatever it is.

The local gardening club are quite a friendly bunch and one of the organisers basically said its more of a social get together rather than serious garden chat. They have monthly meets and have guest speakers. They also have some little plant sales just for garden club funds so maybe I will be taking a few exotics along to wet their appetites :lol:
They want me to join but I said I was a bit busy at the moment so maybe later :?: Hollyhocks and roses here I come :lol:

My new garden isn't all going to be about exotics. There's going to be a veg patch plus some more traditional borders so maybe I do need to join icon_scratch

Here's a test bed I've done this year and the bees/butterflies love it. Only problem are the butterflies on my brassica's :ahhh!:
Attachments
DSC_0027_t.jpg
Last edited by JonK on Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kata

Post by kata »

Nowt wrong wi that jon.... :lol: :lol:
flounder

Post by flounder »

JonK wrote:Thanks, its always nice to win something whatever it is.

The local gardening club are quite a friendly bunch and one of the organisers basically said its more of a social get together rather than serious garden chat. They have monthly meets and have guest speakers. They also have some little plant sales just for garden club funds so maybe I will be taking a few exotics along to wet their appetites :lol:
They want me to join but I said I was a bit busy at the moment so maybe later :?: Hollyhocks and roses here I come :lol:

My new garden isn't all going to be about exotics. There's going to be a veg patch plus some more traditional borders so maybe I do need to join icon_scratch

Here's a test bed I've done this year and the bees/butterflies love it. Only problem are the butterflies on my brassica's :ahhh!:
Nice photo......hides the white picket fence very well :wink:
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

kata wrote:Nowt wrong wi that jon.... :lol: :lol:
Just needs an Ensete to give it height :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by cordyman »

Dave Brown wrote:
kata wrote:Nowt wrong wi that jon.... :lol: :lol:
Just needs an Ensete to give it height :wink:
THIS! :lol: :lol:
JonK

Post by JonK »

There's a Dahlia in there so what more do you want :lol:

What you can't see though just to the right of the photo, against the house are pots of gingers, canna's, brugmansia's which gives it a more tropical feel.

Mindyou after last nights gales, there was a pot of Hedychium Spicatum 'Lipstick' in the boarder and fortunately the white picket fence had been blown away icon_thumright . The worst bit though was the angel carnage as the brugs were blown over and most of their flowers were spread over the driveway. They will live for another day.

The builders are in at the moment round the back so hopefully I wll be able to get on with some proper (exotic) gardening in the spring.
Attachments
DSC_0004_t.jpg
DSC_0012_t.jpg
flounder

Post by flounder »

Two hours to dig the footings and 16 hours playing with the tonka toys!
Whats that big leaf thingy in the foreground? I know it but my brains gone soggy recently...
JonK

Post by JonK »

The keys were left over the weekend for the dumper truck icon_thumright big boys toys :lol: well it would of been rude not to and I am paying for it :lol:

The plant in the second photo is a pumpkin :!: 'Queensland Blue'. You can see a pumpkin bottom left of the bed. They've been rampant and had to cut them back before the builders started :( good crop of pumpkins though :D
flounder

Post by flounder »

Pumpkin? well it's not what I'd thought I'd forgotten it was...if you get my meaning!
Interesting plant but I don't think I have the room.
We'll see
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

JonK wrote:There's a Dahlia in there so what more do you want :lol:

What you can't see though just to the right of the photo, against the house are pots of gingers, canna's, brugmansia's which gives it a more tropical feel.

Mindyou after last nights gales, there was a pot of Hedychium Spicatum 'Lipstick' in the boarder and fortunately the white picket fence had been blown away icon_thumright . The worst bit though was the angel carnage as the brugs were blown over and most of their flowers were spread over the driveway. They will live for another day.

The builders are in at the moment round the back so hopefully I wll be able to get on with some proper (exotic) gardening in the spring.

INTERESTED :shock: icon_thumleft icon_thumleft
JonK

Post by JonK »

Cordy

after most things were trashed by the wind I'd be too embarrassed too show some photos off :oops: unfortunately I've not got any from just before when they were looking at their best.
Hopefully lots of better photos in the future icon_thumleft. With the plans I've got for the tropical part, it should look good icon_thumright just got to find some money for it now :wink: