Aeonium arboreum 'Schwarzkopf

kata

Aeonium arboreum 'Schwarzkopf

Post by kata »

Look at this,

I bought it off Paul some weeks ago as a seedling really.

Today I had to recycle all my potted flowers due to a vermin problem, apparently they can feed off the garden blooms so all is gone.

I was'nt going to recyle my Basjoo and Ensete though., then I spotted how big the swartkof had grown.
swartkofsep.jpg
I can't smile after the destruction.

:(
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Re: Swartkof Plant

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

What have you got rid of? Rats don't eat flowers?
Neil Ziemski

Post by Neil Ziemski »

I don't understand?
What has happened?
Recycle plants?
Conifers

Post by Conifers »

Vine Weevils?

If so, no point in disposing of everything, they occur wild throughout Britain, not just in pots. So it is impossible to get rid of them by disposal of pot plants.
kata

Post by kata »

I got reading about this rat, its in my attic, I say it, it could be more now.

It said they will feed off flowers so I dumped the lot. I am so scared of it coming into the bedroom I would do anything to stop it.

I rang Rentakil they said the problem will get worse if council don't put high strength poison down. Council has a no kill policy so pest control just leave feed in the attic. That food from two weeks ago has gone but no dead bodies.

Where they have setup camp there urine is causing breaks in my bedroom ceiling paper. I can't believe this house. First year the fly Infestaion, lots of flies everywhere, even coming through keyholes. 2nd year mice setup camp in the shed. And now rats.
Soon as possible I am out of here.

I spoke to a councillor this morning, he is not in my area but will pass it to the right person to act as an emergency.

:(
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

kata wrote:That food from two weeks ago has gone but no dead bodies.
I think part of the purpose of the food is it makes them thirsty, so they go out to find water. Good thing as they would stink if they died within the fabric of the house ...

Proof that it has worked will be if there is no further evidence of them - droppings, chewed wood etc.
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

K,get yourself a jack russell icon_thumleft
mars ROVER broken down. headgasket faillure
kata

Post by kata »

Someone needs to cleanup up there then,

The first visit they found bones, that could have been a dead bird got in when the roof cage fell off , I found it on the floor but did'nt know what it was then and recycled it.. :(

Thats why the flies that year. Apparently they homed in on a bird that got in but bird could'nt get out and died there. The cage was replaced last year.

That was council pest control explanation anyway. Or they can be whats called cluster flies looking for warmth, cluster flies are dead with no action against them within 10 days.

The pest control will put more stuff down this morning.

Thanks Kristen.
kata

Post by kata »

Now,

About my Swartskof plant... :lol:

To look at that plant has the same spoon shaped leaves as the Lewisias.

:mrgreen:
Kristen

Re: Aeonium arboreum 'Schwarzkopf

Post by Kristen »

I blagged one from a friend's garden as they were having a clearout. I like the multi-stemmed effect - perhaps because it got clobbered by their mower a few times, maybe by frost (it was in the channel islands, so not bought in for the winter)

kata

Post by kata »

Nice Kristen, I fully Intend to change the compost and bring it in.,

I saw this one but it did'nt look real somehow.
flowers3.jpg
Its one I dl, no Idea where from.

icon_cheers icon_cheers
fieldfest

Post by fieldfest »

Kristen wrote:I blagged one from a friend's garden as they were having a clearout. I like the multi-stemmed effect - perhaps because it got clobbered by their mower a few times, maybe by frost (it was in the channel islands, so not bought in for the winter)

[ Image ]
mines been just a single stem for 2 years, i am tempted to cut it in half next spring so it does something similar to your pic
Leigh

Post by Leigh »

fieldfest wrote:
Kristen wrote:I blagged one from a friend's garden as they were having a clearout. I like the multi-stemmed effect - perhaps because it got clobbered by their mower a few times, maybe by frost (it was in the channel islands, so not bought in for the winter)

[ Image ]
mines been just a single stem for 2 years, i am tempted to cut it in half next spring so it does something similar to your pic
Normally if you pinch out or damage the centre of the rosette it will encourage it to grow new heads which then branch off,
Leigh
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

kata wrote:Nice Kristen, I fully Intend to change the compost and bring it in.,

I saw this one but it did'nt look real somehow.
flowers3.jpg
Its one I dl, no Idea where from.

icon_cheers icon_cheers
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

kata wrote:I saw this one but it did'nt look real somehow.
I don't know what they look like when they flower, so that may well be right (its quite showy, eh?!!) but they are monocarpic, so once they flower that's it - game over :(