overwintering Ricinus

chrismc

overwintering Ricinus

Post by chrismc »

Has anyone on here done this? i have a couple of nice types this year and id love to see if i could retain the height and get them even bigger next year. i guess i need to know about temp and watering (lighting will be greenhouse)
tropical Tom

Re: overwintering Ricinus

Post by tropical Tom »

I tried this a couple of years ago, they lasted till late november and I lost them to minus 5 frost, they were against a wall so I'd hoped for better! My advice would be to start them early in a large pot in a greenhouse then plant them out in may. given a good start you will easily get a good size in one growing season.

Keith :D
chrismc

Post by chrismc »

im looking at putting them in a heated greenhouse with the Nanas prob min of 4/5
jungle jas

Post by jungle jas »

I tried to do this last winter and failed miserably. I had mine on a south facing window cill in a heated room. Best of luck with yours. icon_thumright
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

Have they seeded.
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

Went to Kevin Scales NGS openday last year. He had some that he had overwintered, and they were very tall. Can't remember how he said he had done it, but I have half a memory that he grew them in pots, perhaps sown relatively late in Year One, and then planted out in Spring Two.

I might sow a couple of seeds now, given them some heat during the Winter, and see how they get on :)
miketropic

Post by miketropic »

I hate to be a ass but I'm glad we don't have to do this over here..found a nice garden in town the other day I id not know about but this is the only pic I took. Guy was very nice said this one came up from some dropped seed last year around april..all this in one season. Even mine arnt this big and I thought I was doing well with them

derrick

Post by derrick »

Use to have them in a unheated conservatory for the winter but last winter was to long they died like March stupid plant