Moving perennials in the early autumn

piechnik99

Moving perennials in the early autumn

Post by piechnik99 »

Hello All,

Would it do any harm to move perennials at this time of year?

I have a tropical border which was planted this spring (photo to follow later) - and was looking at moving a few things around so I can plant some spring bulbs in for next year (as well covering up the soil to save the cats using my lovely red bark chip as a large toilet).

Normally this job would be left until spring - but as I wanted to get the bulbs in for next spring I could do with doing it now (I have tried overwintering bulbs and then planting them out over the past few years with mixed results) :x

Would it be best to ensure there is enough soil on the plants I am moving? Water them in well after transplanting?

Once moved I was planning to mulch with compost and them cover the soil with pea gravel to ward off the annoying cats :twisted:

Amongst the plants I am looking at moving are Rudbeckia Goldstrum, Miscanthus Zebrinus, Day Lillies, Monarda/Bergamot etc.

Thanks!
flounder

Re: Moving perennials in the early autumn

Post by flounder »

Normally divide and move late autumn, after they've died down. I probably wouldn't water them after the move unless the soil is excessively dry
JonK

Post by JonK »

The day lillies can be moved at any time but miscanthus is best left to spring (disturbed roots and damp cold soil over winter isn't good for them). Don't know about the others but normally are ok in autumn.
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

I shouldn't see it causing much damage to the plants. Personally I would always water them in well.
piechnik99

Post by piechnik99 »

Thanks everyone!

Booked the day off work tomorrow to get it done - can't see it taking too long

Good to see its given a warmish week, which is going to help things settle in....