Good buy or foolhardy purchase? (cacti)

Essexman

Re: Good buy or foolhardy purchase? (cacti)

Post by Essexman »

A splendid little collection. Some Opuntia, 4 X Cleistocactus strausii (white columnar), a Mamillaria bombycina (multi-headed), an Echinopsis (Trichocereus) pachanoi (columnar green), I think there is a little Carnegiea gigantea in there and 2 X Pilosocereus pachyclaudus (columnar blue).

One rather intrigues me, it is front right behind the gloves. It looks like a cactus with a 'cephalium' a sort of cap on top of the cactus. This would make it a Melocactus. Which would be a very nice addition indeed. I might be mistaken.

Keep them indoors. I tend to stop watering at the end of Sept and start again in March. It is important that they have a dormant period. A bit of cactus feed tends to go down well when you start up watering again.

Enjoy them.
GREVILLE

Post by GREVILLE »

Brilliant buy, GH, but only if you keep them all looking like that by next Spring - which you will do if you follow the excellent advice on the earlier posts.
call

Post by call »

looks like a fabulous buy!
you should try this site to get their names cactiguide.com

cacti are super easy
. keep dry during the winter

. give a good overhead water once a month

. keep an eye out for mealy bug and red spider mite

. also keep an eye out if the cactus if soft (that means it needs a water)

. watch out for rot (some species are rot prone ie. astrophytum)

also gravel around the pot helps prevent splashback and rot icon_thumright
GREVILLE

Post by GREVILLE »

Put up individual pics ask each one to have an ID.
greyhound

Post by greyhound »

Thank you everyone for all your helpful replies,I am so glad I posted this topic ,now I know I do not need to re pot them and I will stop watering them from next week after I have given them a last soak with the hose.Hopefully they will survive the winter in the conservatory
K9's and exotic palms not a good combo K9's 5 :exotic palms 0