Tropical Winter/Spring Bulbs

fern Rob

Tropical Winter/Spring Bulbs

Post by fern Rob » Sat Oct 05, 2013 4:03 pm

Hi All,
I would love to get some winter spring colour in the garden, the only problem is I don't want the usual bulbs. I am looking for something exotic strong coloured rather than pale creams and yellow Daffodil any plant suggestions would be helpful. I'm not sure if the plant I am looking for actually exists. :lol:
Thanks
Rob

stephenprudence

Re: Tropical Winter/Spring Bulbs

Post by stephenprudence » Sat Oct 05, 2013 4:59 pm

Unfortunately the problem is that tropical/exotic bulbs don't have seasons, so cannot adapt to our seasons. Also the selection of bulbs we have are very unexotic. Tulips are the closest.. perhaps Cyclamen? But nothing springs to mind (scuse the pun)..

fern Rob

Re: Tropical Winter/Spring Bulbs

Post by fern Rob » Sat Oct 05, 2013 5:00 pm

I wish I could find something like Crocosmia Lusifer that would flower in winter.

Nigel Fear

Re: Tropical Winter/Spring Bulbs

Post by Nigel Fear » Sat Oct 05, 2013 6:06 pm

fern Rob wrote:I wish I could find something like Crocosmia Lusifer that would flower in winter.
Schizostylis coccinea 'major' will flower through to early winter, November if you're lucky,and don't get a heavy frost, now's about the time to see it at nurseries too.

fern Rob

Re: Tropical Winter/Spring Bulbs

Post by fern Rob » Sat Oct 05, 2013 6:07 pm

Nigel Fear wrote:
fern Rob wrote:I wish I could find something like Crocosmia Lusifer that would flower in winter.
Schizostylis coccinea 'major' will flower through to early winter, November if you're lucky,and don't get a heavy frost, now's about the time to see it at nurseries too.
Thanks Nigel

Springy

Re: Tropical Winter/Spring Bulbs

Post by Springy » Sat Oct 05, 2013 6:30 pm

Nerine sarniensis comes to mind and so does nerine bowdenii

Kristen

Re: Tropical Winter/Spring Bulbs

Post by Kristen » Sat Oct 05, 2013 6:44 pm

Lachenalia (Jan-March) is perhaps unusual if not outright exotic.

Ornithogalum (March onwards) maybe?

Some less common looking Fritillaria (April-ish) perhaps? e.g. F. uva vulpis, F. elwesii, F. Michailovskyi and by then other things like Arum italicum, Erythronium & Trillium (both too dainty perhaps?) and Pleione

A collection of poncy snowdrops out of the question? Plenty of so-called Galanthophiles have amazing collections of snowdrops :><:

fern Rob

Re: Tropical Winter/Spring Bulbs

Post by fern Rob » Sat Oct 05, 2013 7:10 pm

Kristen wrote:Lachenalia (Jan-March) is perhaps unusual if not outright exotic.

Ornithogalum (March onwards) maybe?

Some less common looking Fritillaria (April-ish) perhaps? e.g. F. uva vulpis, F. elwesii, F. Michailovskyi and by then other things like Arum italicum, Erythronium & Trillium (both too dainty perhaps?) and Pleione

A collection of poncy snowdrops out of the question? Plenty of so-called Galanthophiles have amazing collections of snowdrops :><:
I had no idea there was so many bulbs to pick from.
I completely forgotten about snow drops. Any suggested suppliers .

kata

Re: Tropical Winter/Spring Bulbs

Post by kata » Sat Oct 05, 2013 7:14 pm

I just planted two weeks ago Fritillaria, orange I think.

icon_cheers

fern Rob

Re: Tropical Winter/Spring Bulbs

Post by fern Rob » Sat Oct 05, 2013 7:28 pm

kata wrote:I just planted two weeks ago Fritillaria, orange I think.

icon_cheers
I have planted them before but they don't grow well In my garden.

kata

Re: Tropical Winter/Spring Bulbs

Post by kata » Sat Oct 05, 2013 7:31 pm

Best in a pot Rob,

icon_cheers

fern Rob

Re: Tropical Winter/Spring Bulbs

Post by fern Rob » Sat Oct 05, 2013 7:34 pm

I wish I did that before they died .

kata

Re: Tropical Winter/Spring Bulbs

Post by kata » Sat Oct 05, 2013 7:59 pm

Well Rob,

Not too sure if these will 'take', they felt a bit soft, I forgot I had them and you know how warm its been this summer, still they may do something.

I love them, they are really nice if you get all the colors. they come with garlic smellie in the sawdust to prevent mice eating the bulb..

icon_cheers
fritillariaimperialisrubramaxima.jpg

fern Rob

Re: Tropical Winter/Spring Bulbs

Post by fern Rob » Sat Oct 05, 2013 8:02 pm

I think they are great plants, but they are summer flowering .

kata

Re: Tropical Winter/Spring Bulbs

Post by kata » Sat Oct 05, 2013 8:08 pm

Imperial fritillaries are the first whopper garden bulb to flower in spring. You've got alliums, lilies and eremurus later, but it's the good old crown imperial which gives you drama early in the year.

icon_cheers

Post Reply