Trachycarpus princeps seeds...where to buy?

tropical Tom

Trachycarpus princeps seeds...where to buy?

Post by tropical Tom »

Does anyone know where I can buy some princeps seeds? I am growing most other Trachycarpus seedlings and would like to add these to my collection. All suggestions welcome!

Thanks, Keith :D
miketropic

Re: Trachycarpus princeps seeds...where to buy?

Post by miketropic »

not sure about over there but over here there in high demand and cost a bit..never seen seed for sale that I can remember only small plants
Chad

Post by Chad »

Mine came from Trebrown. They only sell fresh seed so you have to keep an eye open for when new supplies come in.

Chad.
Mick B

Post by Mick B »

Good results from here:- www.coldplant.com.
jungle jas

Post by jungle jas »

Thanks Chad and Mick for the seed tips. icon_thumright Chad I know its wet in Cornwall but please get out of the rain you're making me feel cold. :wink:
Wilza

Post by Wilza »

Hardy palms have fresh seed! :) http://www.hardy-palms.co.uk/product.as ... roduct=109
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Picked 2 weeks ago........... and from both sides of river, the burma type also which some people on the EPS have grown and think is slightly different. I am not sure about that, time will tell.
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

Whats the germination time?
miketropic

Post by miketropic »

I've heard from growers over here there very hard to germinate but the fresher seed the better might have more luck
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Seed is hard to germinate, but also, it doesnt rot, so tends to germinate over 3 or 4 years , so in fact it isnt a worse rate, it just takes a lot longer.
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

tell me about it,just had my first germinate after 18 months,fresh from garry at cold plant when i bought them, and for the record,5 out of 55 rotted in that time ,they could have been duffers
mars ROVER broken down. headgasket faillure
miketropic

Post by miketropic »

redsquirrel wrote:tell me about it,just had my first germinate after 18 months,fresh from garry at cold plant when i bought them, and for the record,5 out of 55 rotted in that time ,they could have been duffers
I don't have 18 months to sit and wait on them I'll pay a bit more for a seedling before I wait that long
Wilza

Post by Wilza »

I've had Latisectus and waggies germinate in about two months, but I've a few fortunei seeds I sowed end of august that haven't germinated yet. I'm suprised princeps take so long to germinate. I was thinking of buying some...maybe sow and forget about them!
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

They germinate sporadically over 3 years , I would say a third at least will germinate in 1st year , you usually get a few instant germinations. I dont know what Redsquirrrel was doing but that is not typical germination. I have been germinating them for years now. I always found the best way was to put them in a pot and leave the pot in the garden in sunshine and you will always have good germination during the spring and summer.
kata

Post by kata »

£20.00 Nigel... :ahhh!:

Seems a bit steep If its correct.

icon_sunny